Skip to code content (skip section selection)
(A) Establishment of Municipal Court Technology Fund.
(1) There is hereby created and established a Municipal Court Technology Fund, here-in-now known as the Fund, pursuant to Tex. Code of Criminal Procedure, Art. 102.0172.
(2) The Fund may be maintained in an interest-bearing account and may be maintained in the general revenue account.
(B) Establishment of amount of the fee and assessment and collection.
(1) The fee shall be in the amount of $4.
(2) The fee shall be assessed and collected from the defendant upon conviction for a misdemeanor offense in the Municipal Court as a cost of court. A defendant is considered convicted if:
(a) A sentence is imposed on the person;
(b) The person is placed on community supervision, including deferred adjudication community supervision; or
(c) The court defers final disposition of the person’s case.
(3) (1) The fee shall be collected on conviction for an offense committed on or after September 1, 1999 (or for convictions on offenses committed on or after section is adopted).
(2) Fee may only be assessed and collected on offenses occurring on or after September 1, 1999. The fee may not be assessed or collected retroactively if Fund is established at a later date than September 1, 1999.
(4) The Clerk of the court shall collect the fee and pay the fee to the Municipal Treasurer or City Secretary of the City of Wake Village, Texas, who shall deposit the fee into the Municipal Court Technology Fund.
(C) Designated use of the Fund and administration.
(1) The Fund shall be used only to finance the purchase of technological enhancements for the Municipal Court of the city, including:
(a) Computer systems;
(b) Computer networks;
(c) Computer hardware;
(d) Computer software;
(e) Imaging systems;
(6) Electronic kiosks;
(7) Electronic ticket writers; or
(8) Docket management systems.
(2) The Fund shall be administered by or under the direction of the City Council of the city.
(D) Expiration and administration of Fund. In accordance with Tex. Code of Criminal Procedure, Art. 102.0172, this section and the assessment and collection of the Municipal Court technology fee expired September 1, 2005. The purpose of the use of any funds remaining in the Fund shall continue to be used and administered as required by this section, and for that purpose this section remains in effect.
(Ord. 11-99, passed 9-14-1999)