Skip to code content (skip section selection)
(A) Each operator of a business that offers tattooing or body piercing services shall do all of the following:
(1) Maintain procedures for ensuring that the individuals who perform tattooing or body piercing procedures are adequately trained to perform the procedures properly;
(2) With respect to tattooing services, maintain written records that include the color, manufacturer and lot number of each pigment used for each tattoo performed;
(3) Comply with the safety and sanitation requirements for preventing transmission of infectious diseases, as established in rules adopted under R.C. § 3730.10;
(4) Ensure that all invasive equipment or parts of equipment used in performing tattooing and body piercing procedures are disinfected and sterilized by using methods that meet the disinfection and sterilization requirements established in rules adopted under R.C. § 3730.10;
(5) Ensure that weekly tests of the business's heat sterilization devices are performed to determine whether the devices are functioning properly. In having the devices tested, the operator of the business shall use a biological monitoring system that indicates whether the devices are killing microorganisms. If a test indicates that a device is not functioning properly, the operator shall take immediate remedial action to ensure that heat sterilization is being accomplished. The operator shall maintain documentation that the weekly tests are being performed. To comply with the documentation requirement, the documents must consist of a log that indicates the date on which each test is performed and the name of the person who performed the test or, if a test was conducted by an independent testing entity, a copy of the entity's testing report. The operator shall maintain records of each test performed for at least two years.
(B) Each operator of a business that offers ear piercing services performed with an ear piercing gun shall require the individuals who perform the ear piercing services to disinfect and sterilize the ear piercing gun by using chemical solutions that meet the disinfection and sterilization requirements established in rules adopted under R.C. § 3730.10.
(R.C. § 3730.09)