Skip to code content (skip section selection)
A. Classes Of Licenses; Fees: Licenses to sell alcoholic liquors shall be of the following classes and rates. All license fees shall be payable in advance of the due date, July 1, of each year.
1. Class A License: A class A license shall entitle the licensee to sell alcoholic liquors at retail for consumption on or off the premises. The license fee for class A licenses shall be seven hundred fifty dollars ($750.00) per annum.
2. Class B License: A class B license shall entitle the licensee to sell wine and beer in their original packages for consumption off of the licensee's premises. The license fee for a class B license shall be seven hundred fifty dollars ($750.00) per annum.
3. Class C License: A class C license shall entitle the licensee to sell wine and beer at retail for consumption on the premises in conjunction with food prepared and served on the premises, excluding the serving of snacks. The license fee for class C licenses shall be seven hundred fifty dollars ($750.00) per annum. Should the license be granted between fiscal years, the seven hundred fifty dollars ($750.00) shall be prorated to the end of the fiscal year.
4. Class S Off Site, Special Event License: Educational, fraternal, political, civic, religious and not for profit organizations shall be entitled to make application to the local liquor control commissioner for a class S license which shall entitle the licensee to sell and offer for sale, at retail, beer and wine for use and consumption, but not for resale in any form and only at the location and on the specific dates designated for the special event in the license. Said license shall be good for no more than an aggregate time of twenty four (24) hours regardless of the number of days of the event and shall be subject to the hours of operation as set forth in section 8-2-13 of this chapter. In the application, the applicant shall describe the event for which the license is requested including the location, date, and proposed hours of operation. Furthermore, applicant shall also submit with the application such evidence satisfactory to the local liquor commissioner that such applicant is covered by a policy of dramshop insurance in the maximum limits issued by a responsible insurance company authorized and licensed to do business in Illinois insuring such applicant against liability which such applicant may incur under the liquor control act, and where the event is held on city owned property, the city of Virginia shall be listed as an additional insured on the licensee's dramshop insurance policy at licensee's sole expense.
Each applicant shall submit a nonrefundable two hundred dollar ($200.00) fee at the time of making application for a class S liquor license to defray the cost of investigation of the applicant as provided for by this chapter and shall pay a fee of one hundred fifty dollars ($150.00) for such license issued, with said fee payable in advance.
5. Class D License: A Class D license shall entitle the licensee to sell alcoholic liquor at retail in original packages only, not for consumption on the premises where sold. All transactions involving the retail sales of alcoholic beverages must be made within the licensee's building and no sales shall be made to any person who is outside of the licensee's building. The license fee for Class D licenses shall be one thousand dollars ($1,000.00) per annum. Should the license be granted between fiscal years, the one thousand dollars ($1,000.00) shall be prorated to the end of the fiscal year.
6. Class Z License: A Class Z license shall authorize the sale of alcoholic liquor in connection with the operation of a catering business within the City to the general public for consumption at a private event when the food for said event is catered by the licensee. In addition, this license shall authorize the sale of alcoholic liquor at the licensed premises. For purposes of this subsection, the licensee must derive more than twenty five percent (25%) of its gross revenue from the sale of food.
The license shall only be issued to existing license holders who can demonstrate that they are operating a bona fide catering business at the time of making application. All beverage sales made by the licensee shall be considered to have been made at the licensed premises and such sales shall be reported by the licensee for Sales Tax purposes as being made in the City of Virginia. The annual fee for such license shall be two hundred fifty dollars ($250.00) and shall be prorated at the time of issuance if it will be in effect for less than one year.
B. Number Of Licenses: The following licenses shall be limited in number at any time as follows:
Class Of License
Number Of Licenses
2 per calendar year
(Ord., 7-6-1992; amd. Ord., 6-6-1994; Ord. 03-08, 8-11-2003; Ord. 04-09, 7-12-2004; Ord. 09-15, 10-12-2009; Ord. 10-1, 3-8-2010; Ord. 11-15, 12-12-2011; Ord. 2015-15-01, 5-11-2015; Ord. 2018-18-7, 7-13-2018; Ord. 2019-19-01, 2-11-2019; Ord. 2021-04, 9-13-2021)