Skip to code content (skip section selection)
For the purpose of this chapter, the following definitions shall apply unless the context clearly indicates or requires a different meaning.
ABANDONED. When used in conjunction with the term vehicle, means:
(1) A vehicle located on public property illegally.
(2) A vehicle left on public property without being moved for three days.
(3) A vehicle located on public property in such a manner as to constitute a hazard or obstruction to the movement of pedestrian or vehicular traffic on a public right-of-way.
(4) A vehicle that has remained on private property without the consent of the owner or person in control of that property, for more than 48 hours.
(5) A vehicle from which the engine, transmission, or differential has been removed or that is otherwise partially dismantled or inoperable and left on public property.
(6) A vehicle that has been removed by a towing service or public agency upon request of an officer enforcing a statute or an ordinance other than this chapter if the impounded vehicle is not claimed or redeemed by the owner or the owner's agent within 20 days of the vehicle's removal.
(7) A vehicle that is at least three model years old, mechanically inoperable, and is left on private property continuously in a location visible from public property for more than 30 days.
OWNER. A person other than a lienholder that:
(1) Holds the property in or title to, as applicable, a vehicle, manufactured home, mobile home, off-road vehicle, snowmobile or watercraft; or
(2) Is entitled to the use or possession of, as applicable, a vehicle, manufactured home, off-road vehicle, snowmobile or watercraft, through a lease or other agreement intended to operate as security. (I.C. 9-13-2-121(c))
PART. Refers to all components of a vehicle that as assembled do not constitute a complete vehicle. (I.C. 9-13-2-122)
PERSON. Except as otherwise provided in this section, an individual, a firm, a partnership, an association, a fiduciary, an executor or administrator, a governmental entity, a limited liability, a corporation, a sole proprietorship, a trust, an estate or another entity except as defined under I.C. 9-20-14-0.5, 9-20-15- 0.5, 9-32-2-18.6. (I.C. 9-13-2-124)
PRIVATE PROPERTY. All property other than public property. (I.C. 9-13-2-136)
PUBLIC AGENCY. Local agency given the responsibility by statute or ordinance for the removal, storage, and disposal of abandoned vehicles. (I.C. 9-22-1-3)
PUBLIC PROPERTY. A public right-of-way, street, highway, alley, park or other state, county or municipal property. (I.C. 9-13-2-144)
VEHICLE. An automobile, a motorcycle, a truck, a trailer, a semi-trailer, a tractor, a bus, a school bus, a recreational vehicle, or a motor driven cycle.
('71 Code, § 93.01) (Ord. 6-1970, passed 2-9-70; Ord. 10-92, passed 6-8-92; Am. Ord. 21-97, passed 8-26-97)