Skip to code content (skip section selection)
(A) No person shall keep, maintain, or have in his or her possession or under his or her control within the city, any poisonous reptile or any other dangerous or carnivorous wild animal or reptile, any vicious or dangerous domesticated animal, or any other animal or reptile of wild, vicious or dangerous propensities.
(B) No person shall keep, maintain or have in his or her possession or under his or her control, within the city, any of the following animals of either thoroughbred or hybrid stock or pedigree:
(1) All poisonous animals, including rear-fang snakes;
(2) Apes such as chimpanzee, gibbons, orangutans and siamangs;
(8) Constrictor snakes, including but not limited to boa, python and anaconda;
(10) Deer such as white-tailed deer, elk, antelope and moose;
(12) Game cocks and other fighting birds;
(19) Monkeys, old world, new world;
(21) Piranha fish;
(22) Pumas such as cougars, mountain lions; and panthers;
(25) Snow leopards;
(26) Spiders and insects which are poisonous;
(29) Monitor lizard; or
(30) Wild animals.
(C) The provisions of this section shall not apply to institutions of higher learning, zoological parks, circuses, or persons harboring animals specifically for the purpose of rehabilitation and release into their natural habitat pursuant to a valid wildlife permit issued by the state or an agency of the United States if:
(1) Their location conforms to the provisions of city ordinances.
(2) All animals and animal quarters are kept in a clean and sanitary condition and so maintained as to eliminate offensive odors.
(3) Animals are confined in such a manner so as to prevent their escape and protect the public from coming in direct contact with them.
(4) Failure to comply with the provisions of this section shall subject the owner or keeper of the animal to being issued an ordinance violation citation, subjecting the owner to a fine as set forth in § 91.99.
(Ord. 4-2005, passed 2-28-05) Penalty, see § 91.99