Skip to code content (skip section selection)
All off-street parking facilities including entrances, exits, circulation areas and parking spaces shall be in accordance with the following standards and specifications:
(a) Parking Space Dimensions. Each off-street parking space shall not measure less than ten (10) feet in width by twenty (20) feet in length, exclusive of access drives or aisles and shall be of useable shape and condition.
(b) Access. There shall be adequate provisions for ingress and egress to all parking spaces. Where the lot or parking spaces do not provide direct access to a public street or alley, an access drive shall be provided, with a dedicated easement of access as follows:
(1) For single family detached dwellings or two family dwellings, the access drive shall be a minimum of ten (10) feet in width.
(2) For all other uses, the access drive shall be a minimum of twenty (20) feet in width.
(3) All parking spaces, except those required for single family detached dwellings and two family dwellings, shall have access to a public street or alley in such a manner that any vehicle leaving or entering the parking area from or onto a public street or alley shall be traveling in a forward motion.
(4) Parking for uses not permitted in a residential zone shall not be permitted in a residential zone, nor shall any Residential District property be utilized as access for uses not permitted in that Residential District.
(c) Setbacks. The location of off-street parking facilities, with the exception of those serving single family detached dwellings and two family dwellings, for more than five (5) vehicles may be located in the required yards as specified elsewhere in this Code. In no case however, shall the parking area be located closer than ten (10) feet from the future right-of-way or closer than five (5) feet from the side and rear property lines.
(d) Screening. In addition to the setback requirements specified in this Chapter for off- street parking for more than five (5) vehicles, screening shall be provided for all non-residential parking areas on each side of the parking area that abuts any Residential District or uses or any O-R District. Screening shall be as indicated in Chapter 1175 .
(e) Paving. All points of ingress/egress and all open off-street parking spaces, whether or not in conjunction with a main or accessory building, shall be improved and maintained with a durable, dustless surface of asphalt, concrete or brick. Other materials may be used when specifically authorized by the Planning Commission. In agricultural areas, driveways shall be paved at least fifty (50) feet back from the future right-of-way line.
(f) Drainage. All parking spaces, together with driveways, aisles and other circulation areas shall be graded and drained so as to dispose of surface water which might accumulate within or upon such area, and shall be designed to prevent the excess drainage of surface water onto adjacent properties, walkways or onto public streets. Adequate arrangements shall be made to insure acceptable diversion to an adequate storm water drainage system.
(g) Border Barricade. Wherever a parking lot extends to a property line, fencing, wheelstops, curbs or other suitable barriers shall be provided in order to prevent any part of a parked vehicle from extending beyond the property line and from destroying the screening materials and signage.
(h) Visibility. Access of driveways for parking areas shall be located in such a way that any vehicle entering or leaving such parking area shall be clearly visible by any pedestrian or motorist approaching the access or driveway from a public street, private street or alley.
(i) Marking. All parking spaces for more than five (5) vehicles shall be marked with paint lines, curb stones, or markers a minimum of four (4) inches in width, or in some other manner approved by the City and shall be maintained in a clearly visible condition.
(j) Maintenance. Any owner of property used for off-street parking areas shall maintain such areas in good condition without holes and free from all dust, trash, weeds and other debris.
(k) Signage. Where necessary, due to multiple curb cuts, the entrance, exits and the intended circulation pattern shall be clearly marked in the parking area. Signage shall consist of pavement markings or freestanding directional signs in accordance with Chapter 1185 of this Code.
(l) Lighting. Any lights used to illuminate a parking area shall be shielded and so arranged as to direct the light away from the adjacent properties and right-of-way.
(m) Required Yards. Structures and buildings containing off-street parking shall be subject to the yard requirements applicable in the district in which located. Off- street parking areas open to the sky may be located in any yard, except that:
(1) In any “A”, “R” or “O-R” District, off- street parking shall not be located in a required front yard, except on a driveway, or in an area approved by the Planning Commission.
(2) In any “A”, “R”, or “O-R” District, on a corner lot devoted to a residential use, the off-street parking shall not be located closer than the side lot line bounding a street than the minimum side yard setback as established by the District.
(3) If a lot is devoted to a nonresidential use and if its front lot line, side lot line or rear lot line abuts a Residential District, the off-street parking facilities located thereon shall not be closer to such lot line than the minimum front, side or rear yard setback established by the District in which the non-residential use is located.
(Ord. 60-01. Passed 12-17-01.)