Skip to code content (skip section selection)
(A) The applicable provisions of this traffic code apply to the operation of snowmobiles, off-highway motorcycles, and all-purpose vehicles, except that no person shall operate a snowmobile, off- highway motorcycle, or all-purpose vehicle as follows:
(1) On any state highway, including a limited access highway or freeway or the right-of-way thereof, except for emergency travel during such time and in such manner as the Ohio Director of Public Safety designates or except as authorized by R.C. § 4519.41(F);
(2) On any private property, or in any nursery or planting area, without the permission of the owner or other person having the right to possession of the property;
(3) On any land or waters controlled by the state, except at those locations where a sign has been posted permitting such operation;
(4) On the tracks or right-of-way of any operating railroad;
(5) While transporting any firearm, bow or other implement for hunting that is not unloaded and securely encased;
(6) For the purpose of chasing, pursuing, capturing or killing any animal or wild fowl; or
(7) During the time from sunset to sunrise, unless displaying lighted lights as required by R.C. § 4519.20 or a substantially equivalent municipal ordinance.
(8) On residentially zoned lots of less than 3 acres in size, in a manner that causes noise from the operation of the all-purpose vehicle or utility vehicle that is plainly audible at a distance of 50 or more feet away from where the all-purpose vehicle or utility vehicle is being operated. PLAINLY AUDIBLE as used herein means any sound produced by an all-purpose vehicle or utility vehicle, including but not limited to, engine sound and exhaust sound, which can be clearly heard by a person with normal hearing ability so as to enable the hearer to know that sound is being produced. Measurement standards shall be the auditory senses, based upon direct line of sight.
(9) On residentially zoned lots of less than 3 acres in size, in a manner that causes dust to accumulate from the operation of the all-purpose vehicle or utility vehicle that is visible at a distance of 50 or more feet away from where the all-purpose vehicle or utility vehicle is being operated.
(10) On residentially zoned lots of less than 3 acres in size, in a manner that causes any damage to the lots such as, but not limited to, ruts, grooves, or holes.
(11) On any residentially zoned lots in violation of any other city ordinances applicable to the operation of vehicles within the city.
(12) EXCEPTION: § 75.27(A)(8) shall not apply when the all-purpose vehicle or utility vehicle is being operated for agricultural and/or utilitarian purposes (i.e. plowing snow, cutting grass, pulling attachments, etc.)
(B) Whoever violates this section shall be fined not less than $50 nor more than $500, imprisoned not less than 3 nor more than 30 days, or both.
(R.C. § 4519.40) (Ord. 11-08, passed 5-19-2008; Am. Ord. 36-08, passed 10-6-2008)