Skip to code content (skip section selection)
(a) Residential zones.
(1) In the R-A, R-E, R-O, R-1, and R-2 Zones, except as described herein, no main building or structure shall exceed twenty-five (25') feet in height. The maximum height may be increased by not more than ten (10') feet provided that each such dwelling has two (2) side yards of not less than fifteen (15') feet each, but such dwellings shall in no event exceed three (3) stories.
(2) In the R-3 and R-P-D Zones, except as described herein, no main building or structure shall exceed twenty-five (25') feet in height. The maximum height may be increased provided that each side yard shall be increased by a minimum of one-half (1/2') foot for each two (2') feet, or fraction thereof, in height that any building extends above twenty-five (25') feet. The decision-making body may modify the additional side yard setback requirements when necessary to allow buildings in excess of twenty-five (25') feet in order to accommodate the housing need for lower income households specified in the Housing Element of the Thousand Oaks General Plan.
(3) Accessory buildings shall be limited to a maximum building height of fifteen (15') feet, except accessory dwelling units as provided in Section 9-4.2521.
(4) In any R Zone the height of religious facility buildings, including spires, shall be restricted to the height limit set forth in this article for each zone unless waived or modified by the Commission, based on the circumstances of each individual application, so long as the public health, safety, and welfare are upheld.
(b) Commercial zones.
(1) In the C-1, C-2, and C-3 Zones, no building or structure shall exceed thirty-five (35') feet in height.
(2) In the C-4 Zone, no building or structure shall exceed seventy-five (75') feet in height.
(c) Manufacturing zones.
(1) In the M-1 and M-2 Zones, no building or structure shall exceed thirty-five (35') feet in height.
(2) In the M-2 Zone wherever property abuts a residential or commercial zone, the required standard setback on the front, side, or rear yard which abuts the residential or commercial zone shall be increased by one (1') foot for each two (2') feet in height that a structure located in the M-2 zoned property exceeds a height of thirty (30') feet.
(d) Height limit overlay zone (h). The building height limits set forth in subsections (b) and (c) of this section may be waived if the subject property is designated within the Height Limit Overlay Zone (H), as defined by Article 33 of this chapter.
(§ 8160, T.O.O.C., as amended by § 6, Ord. 89, §§ 14 and 15, Ord. 126, § XVI, Ord. 173-NS, eff. November 5, 1970, as renumbered by § XIV, Ord. 173-NS, eff. November 5, 1970, as amended by § I, Ord. 331-NS, eff. December 7, 1972, §§ I and II, Ord. 495-NS, eff. October 10, 1974, § III, Ord. 997-NS, eff. May 17, 1988, § 30, Ord 1392-NS, eff. June 7, 2002, § 4, Ord. 1569-NS, eff. March 9, 2012, and Part 7, Ord. 1678-NS, eff. February 28, 2020)