Skip to code content (skip section selection)
A planning board for the town is hereby created under the authority of G.S. 160A-361 to serve the public interest by promoting the public health, safety and general welfare of the residents of the Town of Surf City and its extraterritorial jurisdiction. It is the intent of the town to have representation of a broad cross-section of community interests.
(a) Composition and vacancies.
(1) There shall be a planning board consisting of nine members. Seven members plus two alternates, appointed by the town council, shall reside within the town. One member, appointed by the county board of commissioners, shall reside within the town's extraterritorial planning area.
(2) Planning board members shall be appointed for three-year staggered terms. Vacancies of member seats occurring for reasons other than expirations of terms shall be filled as they occur for the period of the unexpired term by appointment of the town council.
(b) Organization, rules and records.
(1) The Mayor will appoint a chair and vice-chair from among the appointed members. The town manager shall designate administrative personnel to serve as secretary to the board . The planning director and town attorney, as requested by the planning director, shall sit as staff to the planning board and shall provide professional planning assistance and legal guidance to the board in the implementation of section 13-1(a). All members shall be entitled to vote.
(2) In the event of the absence of both the chairman and vice-chairman from a meeting of the planning board, the remaining members present may elect a temporary chairman for that meeting and proceed with the order of business
(3) The chairman shall decide all points of procedure and for the transaction of its business, and the secretary shall keep a record of attendance, resolutions, transactions, findings, and recommendations. Such records shall record how each member votes on each question requiring a vote. The records of the planning board shall be public, and a copy of all minutes shall be placed in the town hall. The planning board shall hold at least one meeting every three months, and all of its meetings shall be open to the public. There shall be a quorum of four members for the purpose of taking any official action required by this article.
(d) Meetings/attendance of members.
(1) Regular meetings of the planning board shall be held on the second Thursday of each month at 4:00 p.m. in the Surf City Town Hall. Each member shall be notified of each regular meeting by the secretary to the planning board. The secretary shall also notify each planning board member of all joint town council/planning board public hearings. Said meetings shall be considered town council meetings for purposes of determining the rules of conduct and procedure. The chairman reserves the right to move the meeting location, time and date of a regularly scheduled meeting so long as notice of such meeting is given to the general public and all planning board members are given written, electronic or oral notice of the change at least 48 hours in advance.
(2) In order for the planning board to carry out its duties and responsibilities, it is necessary for all members to attend meetings . If any member is absent for two (2) consecutive regular meetings, the chairman may direct the secretary to notify such member in writing of their absences. The council may, at its discretion, reinstate an appointee whose term has expired under these rules.
(e) Member responsibilities.
(1) A member shall request to be excused from discussion of or voting on any matter where the outcome of the matter being considered is reasonably likely to have a direct, substantial, and readily identifiable financial impact on the member.
(2) A member shall represent him or herself as a board member and not undermine board recommendations at any other public meetings that address planning issues.
(f) Action by the board.
(1) All actions of the planning board shall have been put before the planning board members in the form of a motion, duly seconded, and voted upon by all unexcused members present for a quorum.
(2) Voting shall be done by voice or hand, as determined by the chairman. The chairman shall vote only in case of a tie. Only members present at the time a vote is taken shall be eligible to vote.
(Ord. No. 1979-1, § C, 4-3-79; Ord. No. 1992-41, § 1, 12-1-92; Ord. No. 2020-13, § 1 (part), 12-1-2020; Ord. No. 2021-13, § 1, 8-3-2021)
Cross reference— Boards, commissions and committees, § 2-101 et seq.