Skip to code content (skip section selection)
(a) No law enforcement officer shall negligently do any of the following:
(1) Fail to serve a lawful warrant without delay;
(2) Fail to prevent or halt the commission of an offense or to apprehend an offender, when it is in the law enforcement officer’s power to do so alone or with available assistance.
(b) No law enforcement, ministerial or judicial officer shall negligently fail to perform a lawful duty in a criminal case or proceeding.
(c) No officer, having charge of a detention facility, shall negligently do any of the following:
(1) Allow the detention facility to become littered or unsanitary;
(2) Fail to provide persons confined in the detention facility with adequate food, clothing, bedding, shelter and medical attention;
(3) Fail to control an unruly prisoner, or to prevent intimidation of or physical harm to a prisoner by another;
(4) Allow a prisoner to escape;
(5) Fail to observe any lawful and reasonable regulation for the management of the detention facility.
(d) No public official of the Municipality shall recklessly create a deficiency, incur a liability or expend a greater sum than is appropriated by the legislative authority of the Municipality for the use in any one year of the department, agency or institution with which the public official is connected.
(e) No public servant shall recklessly fail to perform a duty expressly imposed by law with respect to the public servant’s office, or recklessly do any act expressly forbidden by law with respect to the public servant’s office.
(f) Whoever violates this section is guilty of dereliction of duty, a misdemeanor of the second degree.
(g) As used in this section, “public servant” includes an officer or employee of a contractor as defined in Ohio R.C. 9.08.