Skip to code content (skip section selection)
(a) General. The owner of a motorized cart prior to operating the cart over the streets within the City and in those areas accessible by the public shall register the cart with the City and obtain a registration permit.
(1) The registration is valid for one calendar year with an annual renewal of the registration due in January.
(2) Nothing in this section shall be construed to require any business or person who is licensed to sell motorized carts within the City to register the cart prior to selling the motorized cart unless the seller will use the motorized cart over authorized streets for personal business.
(b) Required Equipment for Motorized Cart Registration Permits.
(1) A motorized cart shall be equipped with the following minimum equipment to be eligible for a registration permit.
A. Operational headlamps;
B. Operational tail and brake lamps;
C. Operational parking brake;
D. Operational front and rear turn signals;
E. Reflex reflectors on each side and rear of vehicle;
F. Vehicle Identification Number.
G. Five-foot pole with light or reflectors;
H. Exterior mirror on driver's side and interior mirror on passenger's side; and
I. Operational horn.
(c) Application. Every application for a permit shall be made on a form supplied by the City and shall contain the following information:
(1) Name and address of applicant;
(2) Model, make, name and cart ID number;
(3) Date of birth of applicant;
(4) Proof of liability insurance;
(5) Other such information which the City may require.
(d) Permit Required. No person shall operate a motorized cart:
(1) Which is not permitted by the City as provided herein. The permit is to be placed on the front cover driver's side;
(2) Who is under the age of sixteen (16) years of age;
(3) Without proof of liability insurance; and
(4) Without a valid driver's license.
(e) Revoking of Permit. A permit will be revoked if it is found that:
(1) The operator is under the age of sixteen (16) years old;
(2) The operator failed to abide by the requirements of this Ordinance;
(3) The operator failed to abide by traffic laws in the use of a motorized cart on City streets;
(4) The operator failed to grant right-of-way to pedestrians and bicyclists;
(5) The permit holder allowed someone under sixteen (16) years old to operate the motorized cart;
(6) The permit holder is determined to not be capable of safely operating the motorized cart on the roadway or otherwise is a threat to the safety of others;
(7) Racing in any form;
(8) Blocking public access; and
(9) Parking other than on off-street parking improved surface.
(f) Fee. There shall be a twenty-five dollar ($25.00) fee required for the registration of motorized carts in the City. No registration shall be granted unless a golf cart has been inspected by a facility certified by the City of St. Albans certifying that the cart meets all St. Albans requirements.
(g) Transfer. Upon transfer of the cart to another person who shall operate the cart over the streets of the City, the registration must be transferred to the new owner within ten business days of the change of ownership. If the registration is not transferred within ten business days, a fifteen dollar ($15.00) penalty will be applied and the cart shall be considered an unregistered cart after the ten-business day period.
(h) Gasoline Carts.
(1) Every motorized cart powered by gasoline shall at all times be equipped with an exhaust system in good working order and meet the following specifications:
A. The exhaust system shall include the piping leading from the flange of the exhaust manifold to and including the muffler and exhaust pipes and include any and all parts specified by the manufacturer.
B. The exhaust system and its elements shall be securely fastened, with brackets or hangers, which are designed for the particular purpose of fastening motorized cart exhaust system.
C. The engine and powered mechanism of every motorized cart shall be so equipped, adjusted and tuned so that the exhaust equals the same amount of a motorized cart in good working order.
(2) It shall be unlawful for the owner of any motorized cart to operate or permit the operation of such cart on which any device controlling or abating atmospheric emissions, which is placed on a motorized cart by the manufacturer, to render the device unserviceable by removal, alteration or which interfered with its operation.
(Ord. 2019-14. Passed 12-2-19.)