Skip to code content (skip section selection)
The City Treasurer shall have authority and shall be required, subject to the provisions of general law, to:
(1) Supervise and be responsible for the disbursement of all moneys and have control over all expenditures to ensure that budget appropriations are not exceeded.
(2) Maintain a general accounting system for the City and each of its offices, departments and agencies; keep books for and exercise financial budgetary control over each office, department and agency; keep separate accounts for the items of appropriation contained in the City budget, each of which accounts shall show the amount of the appropriation, the amounts paid therefrom, the unpaid obligations against it and the unencumbered balance; and require reports of receipts and disbursements from each office, department and agency of the City to be made daily or at such intervals as he may deem expedient;
(3) Submit to the Mayor and Council a monthly statement of all receipts, disbursements and unpaid accounts in sufficient detail to show the exact financial condition of the City;
(4) Prepare for the Mayor and Council, as of the end of each fiscal year, a complete financial statement and report;
(5) Supervise and be responsible for all special assessments for the City and give such notice of special assessments as may be required by law;
(6) Except as otherwise provided by general law, collect all taxes, special assessments, license fees and other revenues of the City for whose collection the City is responsible and receive all money receivable by the City from county, State or federal government, or from any court, or from any office, department or agency of the City;
(7) Have custody of all public funds belonging to or under the control of the City, or any office, department or agency of the City;
(8) Deposit all funds coming into his hands in such depositories as may be designated by resolution of Council, or, if no such resolution be adopted, in such depositories as may be designated by the Mayor and all such deposits shall be subject to the requirements of general law as to surety and the payment of interest on deposits, but all such interest shall be the property of the City and shall be accounted for and credited to the proper account; and said depository shall not pay out any funds so deposited by said Treasurer except upon an order signed by the Mayor and Treasurer;
(9) Except as otherwise provided by general law, have custody of all investments and invested funds of the City, or in possession of the City in a fiduciary capacity, and of all bonds and notes of the City and receive and deliver City bonds and notes for transfer, registration or exchange; and
(10) Approve all proposed expenditures after determining that there is an unencumbered balance of appropriated and available funds.