Skip to code content (skip section selection)
Regulations regarding the illumination of signs shall be as follows.
(a) Shading. The light from any illuminated sign shall be so shielded, shaded, or directed so that the light intensity shall not adversely affect surrounding or facing premises or safe vision of operators of vehicles on public or private roads.
(b) Electronic message sign.
(1) Electronic message sign displays shall be limited to displays which are gradual movements, including, but not limited to, dissolve, fade, scrolling, or traveling. However, sudden movement is prohibited, including, but not limited to, blinking and flashing.
(2) All electronic message center signs in a NF1 Form shall require additional standards as indicated below.
A. Electronic message center portion of the sign shall be shut off between the hours of 10:00 p.m. to 6:00 a.m.;
B. The electronic message center portion of the sign shall be no more than 30 percent of the total allowable square footage of the wall or freestanding sign;
C. All freestanding signs shall be monument in style;
D. Freestanding sign faces that include an electronic message center shall be located perpendicular to an arterial or collector street;
(3) Any permitted signs may be, or may include as an individual component of the total sign area, electronic message signs.
(4) Electronic messages or graphic displays may be changed at periodic intervals by gradual entry and exit display modes, provided that messages and animation shall be displayed at periodic intervals by various modes, such as fade, dissolve, scrolling or traveling.
(5) All electronic message signs shall come equipped with automatic dimming controls that automatically adjust the sign's brightness in direct correlation with ambient light conditions.
(6) No electronic message sign shall exceed a brightness level of 0.3 foot candles above ambient light as measured using a foot candle (Lux) meter at a preset distance depending on sign area, measured as follows:
Area of Sign
For signs with an area in square feet other than those specifically listed in the table (e.g., 12 sq. ft., 400 sq. ft., etc.), the measurement distance may be calculated with the following formula:
Measurement Distance = (Area of Sign Sq. Ft. x 100).
(1992 Code, App. B, § 15.57.070) (Ord. 42-83, passed 6-27-1983; Ord. 118-89, passed 11-20-1989; Ord. 5-91, passed 1-7-1991; Ord. 02-07, passed 1-2-2007; Ord. 9-13, passed 3-19-2013; Ord. 33-18, passed 5-2-2018)