Skip to code content (skip section selection)
(a) Intent. The S-2-PUD district is established to provide for coordinated growth of the major institutions such as hospitals and college campuses. These institutions provide needed health, educational, and other services to the citizens of Sioux Falls and the region. The institutions also contribute to employment opportunities and to the overall diversification of the city's economy. If not properly planned, major institutions can have negative impacts such as traffic, loss of housing, and incompatible development. The S-2-PUD district requires an initial development plan with significant community involvement in the development, monitoring, implementation, and amendment including neighborhood meetings before initial development plans are approved or amended.
(b) Scope of regulations. The regulations set forth in this subchapter or set forth elsewhere in this chapter when referred to in this subchapter are the district regulations in the S-2-PUD district.
(1) Business and Community Facilities— Large (BCF3).
(2) Business and Community Facilities— Community Service (BCF2).
(3) Business and Community Facilities— Small (BCF1).
(4) Multiple Dwelling—Medium (MD2).
(5) Multiple Dwelling—Small (MD1).
(6) Limited Retail Employment (RE1).
(7) Streetcar Retail Employment (RE2).
(8) Parking-Oriented Retail Employment (RE3).
(9) Attached Dwelling—Suburban Twin Home/Duplex (AD1).
(10) Attached Dwelling—Suburban 4-unit Townhome (AD2).
(11) Attached Dwelling—Suburban 8-unit Townhome (AD3).
(12) Attached Dwelling—Traditional 8-unit Townhome (AD4).
(13) Neighborhood Residential Facilities (NF2).
(14) Basic Utilities (UT1).
(15) Tower Utilities (UT2).
(16) Conservation Open Space (OPEN1).
(17) Recreation Open Space (OPEN2).
(1) Form setbacks. The forms of development shall generally follow the yard setbacks of all applicable forms allowed except in the following situations as shown on the initial development plan.
(2) Land use transitions. The initial development plan must show appropriate transitions of land uses within the S-2-PUD and at the edges with transitions to adjacent district land uses based upon the Shape Sioux Falls 2035 Comprehensive Plan including the land use compatibility chart and policies within chapters 3, 4, and 5.
(3) Parking. The general parking standards shall be applied except the entire PUD may be looked at as a whole in regards to parking calculations as referenced by the initial development plan. An alternative parking plan may be incorporated as a part of the initial development plan.
(4) Signage. The general signage standards shall be applied except that the entire PUD may be looked at as a whole in regards to signage placement and calculations as approved by the initial development plan. An alternative signage plan may be incorporated as a part of the initial development plan.
(5) Landscaping. The general landscape standards of the zoning ordinance shall be applied except that an alternative landscaping plan may be incorporated as a part of the initial development plan. Common open space may be counted toward the site’s landscape requirement if the open space is adjacent to the site as allowed within chapter 5 of the Shape Sioux Falls 2035 Comprehensive Plan. However, a common open space site may not be counted twice toward any site's landscape requirement.
(Ord. 9-13, passed 3-19-2013; Ord. 22-15, passed 3-3-2015; Ord. 51-18, passed 6-5-2018)