Skip to code content (skip section selection)
(a) Prior to installation of a natural gas fire pit in the furniture zone, a fire pit installation permit is required. The permit application shall require site plan that identifies the placement of the natural gas fire pit in the furniture zone, the fire pit's dimensions, the fire pits distance from the nearest object(s) and the designated pedestrian walkway, and any other information requested by the city. The city shall not issue a fire pit installation permit unless the applicant is found by the city to be in compliance with the following:
(1) The installation of the natural gas fire pit shall conform to all city fire, mechanical, and engineering requirements and manufacturer's specifications.
(2) The natural gas fire pit shall be installed with an "on and off" switch in a secure location within the applicant's business.
(3) A natural gas fire pit emergency remote shutoff switch shall be located in the immediate area of the natural gas fire pit and be accessible to the public.
(4) The natural gas fire pit shall be protected from all motor vehicles using affixed concrete bollards, concrete planters, or other similar devices.
(5) The natural gas fire pit shall be constructed to avoid being tipped over, but cannot be permanently affixed to the public right-of-way.
(6) A natural gas line shall be installed under the public right-of-way to the natural gas fire pit in compliance with SDCL 49-7A.
(b) A fire pit use permit shall not be issued by the city unless the applicant has secured a fire pit installation permit, and is found by the city to be in compliance with the following:
(1) The natural gas fire pit shall be at least ten feet from the adjacent business and must be two feet from any furniture or other objects set forth in § 117.066.
(2) The open flame and heat outlets must maintain clearance to all combustible materials and fire sprinkler heads.
(Ord. 107-18, passed 11-13-2018)