Skip to code content (skip section selection)
(a) A guard dog permit must be obtained for each commercial property where guard dogs are to be used. Procedures for permit application, for inspection of guard dog facilities and for issuance of dog identification tags will be established by the animal control officer, or his or her designee. Permits for both permanent and temporary locations may be transferred to a new location operated by the same business firm during the license year. However, the transfers shall not be effective until the animal control officer, or his or her designee, has inspected and approved the required facilities at the new location, and the information required in this section for permit applications has been recorded. Five working days’ advance notification shall be required by the animal control officer, or his or her designee, for permit transfers.
(b) Permit applications shall include the following information:
(1) The business name, address and telephone number of the commercial property where guard dogs are to be used;
(2) The name, address and telephone number of the handler who can be reached at any time of the day or night;
(3) The number of dogs to be used and a general description of their use;
(4) The location where the dogs are to be housed; and
(5) Any other information that the animal control officer, or his or her designee, deems necessary by rule and regulation. Permit holders shall notify the animal control officer, or his or her designee, if any information recorded as part of the permit application is changed during the course of the period for which the permit is issued.
(c) The animal control officer, or his or her designee, shall inspect the facilities where the guard dog is to be used and housed when the guard dog permit is applied for and when it is renewed.
(d) If the inspection reveals that the requirements of this subchapter are met, a fee of $100 shall be paid and a guard dog license and special guard dog identification tags for the approved commercial property shall be issued by the animal control officer, or his or her designee. The permit shall be displayed at the approved commercial property and an identification tag shall be affixed to the collar of each dog used. Holders of the guard dog permit shall be exempt from the license fee requirements of § 90.075 for their guard dogs.
(e) The guard dog permit shall be valid for the period of one year and must be renewed annually within 30 days after the renewal date. The renewal fee shall be $100.
(f) The guard dog permit must be obtained prior to housing or utilizing guard dogs at the commercial property.
(1992 Code, § 7-81) (Ord. 12-80, passed 3-3-1980)