Skip to code content (skip section selection)
A. The intent and purpose of this chapter is to establish a specific plan to guide the physical development of a particular geographic area within the city well suited for the development of job producing industrial uses, but constrained due to existing commercial zoning designations, small size lots, lack of infrastructure and ongoing oil field operations or leaseholds that prevent or discourage development. In an effort to accommodate the city's employment needs, the concepts, regulations and conditions set forth in the general industrial specific plan provide for the development of industrial uses compatible with surrounding land uses and the existing circulation system. This specific plan has been prepared in accordance with the requirements of the State Government Code (Sections 65450 through 65457) and addresses all of the issues and topics specified in those codes.
B. Location and Boundaries. The specific plan includes different planning areas. Maps of the planning areas are on file in the offices of the Community Development Department.
C. Goals and Objectives. The following are the goals and objectives for development within the general industrial specific plan:
1. Encourage the development of privately sponsored, jobs producing, industrial development;
2. Encourage the consolidation of existing substandard lots into parcels of suitable size for contemporary planned industrial development with adequate parking and good access to major arterial roads and the freeway system;
3. Apply design standards that result in quality development and achieve streetscapes with attractive buildings, enclosed industrial yards and well landscaped yards that provide an aesthetically pleasing buffer for passers-by and neighboring land uses;
4. Preserve the quality appearance of an industrial area by providing good quality landscaping initially and by the establishment of controls requiring good quality maintenance thereafter; and
5. Provide for the development of safe and secure industrial facilities with adequate infrastructure improvements to promote safe and efficient vehicular traffic flows of goods and materials, and assure security through lighting and alarm systems and site designs that discourage vandalism, theft and other criminal activities.
D. Distribution of Land Uses. The distribution of land uses, and extent of the uses of land, including landscaped setbacks or open spaces, within the area covered by the plan is shown in the diagram entitled "Illustrative Site Plan" on file in the offices of the community development department. The text specifying distribution, location and extent of the uses of land is contained herein.
E. Public and Private Infrastructure. The proposed distribution, location, and extent and intensity of major components of public and private transportation, sewage, water, drainage, solid waste disposal, energy and other essential facilities proposed to be located within the area covered by the plan and needed to support the land uses described in the plan are shown in the diagrams entitled "Technical Site Plan/Grading Plan/Street Improvement Plan" on file in the offices of the community development department. The text describing the distribution, location, and extent of public and private improvements is contained in the conditions of approval attached to the specific plan project and on file in the community development department.
F. Development Standards. Development standards and criteria by which development will proceed and standards for conservation, development, and utilization of natural resources, where applicable, shall be as described herein.
G. Program Implementation. Program implementation measures including regulations, public works projects, and financing measures necessary to carry out projects shall be included in development plans for each project. The city may implement public works projects to facilitate coordinated development of and among development projects, and conditions of approval of development projects may require construction of public improvements.
(Ord. 2009-02-1397 § 1, 2009; Ord. 2006-11-1368 § 1)