Skip to code content (skip section selection)
(A) Qualifications of operators. Every person shall, before operating a moped upon a city street located within the geographical boundaries of the city, be 16 years of age or older, and must have secured and be in possession of a valid motor vehicle operator’s license or instruction permit provided for by state law and otherwise be in compliance with the requirements as to qualifications set out in KRS 186.440.
(B) Parental obligation. Parents or legal guardians of any person under the age of 18 years shall not authorize or permit such person to operate a moped in violation of this subchapter under such circumstances that the parents or legal guardians know or should know of any such violation.
(C) Authorization to operate by others than parents. No person shall authorize or permit a moped owned or controlled by him to be operated by any person who does not have a valid operator’s license or instruction permit as provided for by state law.
(D) Operation while license suspended or revoked. No person whose operator’s license has been suspended or revoked shall drive the vehicle upon the city streets while the license is suspended or revoked.
(E) Carrying persons or articles. No operator of any moped shall carry another person except where the vehicle has been originally designed to carry more than one passenger. No operator of a moped shall carry any article which prevents the use of both hands in the control and operation of a moped. A moped operator shall keep at least one hand on the handlebars at all times.
(F) Clinging to other vehicles. No moped operator shall attach his moped or himself to any vehicle while either the vehicle or the moped is being operated, provided, however, that this division (F) shall not prohibit attaching a trailer or semi-trailer to a moped if that trailer or semi-trailer is designed for such attachment.
(G) Two abreast. Moped operators on a roadway shall not ride more than two abreast. Moped operators operating mopeds two abreast on a laned roadway shall do so within a single lane. Moped operators operating two abreast on a roadway shall not impede the normal and reasonable movement of traffic.
(H) Places of operation. No moped operator shall operate the vehicle other than on public streets, the owner or operator’s private property, or other private property with the express permission of the owner or tenant, or other property whereon other general vehicular operation is otherwise permitted. No operator of a moped shall operate the vehicle on any roadway not containing a moped lane where the maximum speed limit is greater than 35 miles per hour. No operator of a moped shall operate the vehicle upon any sidewalk or pedestrian path within the geographical boundaries of the city.
(I) Operating requirements. No moped operator shall operate a moped recklessly or at a speed faster than is reasonable nor shall a moped be operated in a manner so as to endanger the life, limb, or property of the operator or of any other person. All moped operators shall use appropriate hand signals when stopping or turning.
(J) Locks. Every moped shall be securely locked when parked. This provision shall not apply to a moped parked at the residence of its owner or operator.
(K) Equipment required. No moped shall be operated on the city streets unless it is equipped with:
(1) At least one and not more than two headlamps which shall comply with those requirements and limitations of KRS 189.040.
(2) One red light, which when lighted, or a red reflector, which upon illumination, is visible for at least 500 feet.
(3) At least one white reflector on each side of both the front and rear wheel and which, upon illumination, are visible by approaching vehicles from a distance of at least 100 feet.
(4) A horn or other device capable of making an abrupt sound sufficiently loud to be heard under all ordinary traffic conditions.
(5) An exhaust system, where applicable, incorporating a muffler or other mechanical device for the purpose of reducing engine noise. The system shall be securely attached and located so as not to interfere with the operation of the moped. Shielding shall be provided to prevent inadvertent bodily contact with the exhaust system during normal operation. No modification of the system shall be made which would effectively defeat the purposes of this provision.
(6) A flag attached to a pole of not less than four feet in length.
(L) Other regulations. No moped operator shall operate the vehicle in violation of any other statute or ordinance applicable to the operation of motor vehicles generally.
(Ord. 15-1985, passed 10-21-85) Penalty, see § 73.99