Skip to code content (skip section selection)
A. Purpose: The purpose of this title is to promote the public health, safety, and general welfare by regulating the subdivision of land; to prevent the overcrowding of land; to lessen congestion in the streets and highways; to provide for adequate light, air, water supply, sewage disposal, parks and recreation areas, ingress and egress, and other public requirements; to require development in harmony with the natural environment; to promote preservation of open space; to promote cluster development approaches that minimize costs to city citizens and that promote effective and efficient provision of public services; to protect the rights of property owners; and to require uniform monumentation of land subdivisions and transferring interests in real property by reference to a plat or certificate of survey 1 .
B. Intent: This title is intended to comply with the Montana subdivision and platting act part 5, and is intended to promote:
1. The orderly development of the jurisdictional area.
2. The coordination of roads within subdivided land with other roads, both existing and planned.
3. The dedication of land for roadways and for public utility easements.
4. The improvement of roads.
5. The provision of proper physical and legal access, including obtaining necessary easements.
6. The provision of adequate open spaces for travel, light, air, and recreation.
7. The provision of adequate transportation, water, drainage, and sanitary facilities.
8. The avoidance or minimizing of congestion.
9. The avoidance of subdivisions which would involve unnecessary environmental degradation.
10. The avoidance of danger or injury by reason of natural hazard or the lack of water, drainage, access, transportation, or other public improvements.
11. The avoidance of excessive expenditure of public funds for the supply of public improvements and services.
12. The manner and form of making and filing of any plat for subdivided lands.
13. The administration of this title by defining the powers and duties of approving authorities, including procedures for the review and approval of all plats of subdivisions covered by this title. (Ord. 784, 8-6-2007)
2. MCA § 76-3-102.