Skip to code content (skip section selection)
A. Loud Noises Prohibited: It is unlawful for any person to make or cause to be made any excessive or unusually loud noise or any noise measured or unmeasured which either annoys, disturbs, injures, or endangers the comfort, repose, health, peace or safety of any reasonable person of normal sensitivity within the limits of the city except for any variance specified in subsection C of this section. Violations of this section shall be a misdemeanor punishable as provided in section 1-4-1 of this code. (Ord. 762, 10-21-2002; amd. 2008 Code)
B. Prohibited Acts: It is unlawful to perform any of the following acts within the city:
1. Horns And Signaling Devices: Sounding any horn or signaling device on any truck, automobile, motorcycle, or other vehicle on any street or public place of the city except as a warning signal.
2. Sound Amplifying Equipment: Using, operating, or permitting the use of any radio receiving set, musical instrument, television, phonograph, or other machine or device for the production or reproduction of sound in such a manner to disturb the quiet, comfort, or repose of any normally sensitive and reasonable person, or the operation of any such sets, instruments, televisions, phonographs, machines or devices in such a manner as to be in violation of this section.
3. Operation Of Sound Producing Or Amplifying Equipment In Or From A Motor Vehicle: The use or operation of any radio, compact disc or tape player, musical instrument, loudspeaker, or any other device used to amplify any type of sound, or which causes a vibration at a level where the sound or vibration can be heard or felt at a distance greater than twenty five feet (25') from the exterior of the vehicle from which the device is being operated.
4. Construction Projects Or Repair Of Buildings: Operating equipment or performing any construction or repair work between the hours of eight o'clock (8:00) P.M. and seven o'clock (7:00) A.M. on buildings, structures or projects or operating any pile driver, steam shovel, pneumatic hammer, derrick, steam or electric hoist or other construction type device in such a manner as to disturb the quiet, comfort or repose of any normally sensitive and reasonable person.
5. Exceptions: The city council may establish exceptions to these prohibitions as specified in subsection C of this section. (Ord. 762, 10-21-2002)
6. Violation; Penalty: A violation of this section shall be a misdemeanor punishable as provided in section 1-4-1 of this code. (Ord. 762, 10-21-2002; amd. 2008 Code)
C. Exceptions: The city council may, upon petition, grant any reasonable exception to these provisions. The city council may allow an individual or entity to cause noise otherwise prohibited and outside of the permitted hours for such reasons as unusual construction requirements, parades, or celebrations. Any grant of exception by the city council shall state specifically the act given a variance, any expanded hours for the variance, and the date the variance expires. (Ord. 762, 10-21-2002)