Skip to code content (skip section selection)
Unless the context indicates otherwise, as used in this chapter:
(1) "BOD" means the quantity of oxygen utilized in the biochemical oxidation of organic matter under standard laboratory procedure in five days at twenty degrees centigrade, expressed in mg/1.
(2) "Building drain" means that part of the lowest horizontal piping of a drainage system which receives the discharge from soil, waste and other drainage pipes inside the walls of the building and conveys it to the sewer beginning at the inner face of the building wall.
(3) "Building sewer" means the extension from the building drain to the public sewer or other place of disposal.
(4) "City" means the Sanitary Authority of the City.
(5) "COD" means chemical oxygen demand.
(6) "Combined sewer" means a sewer receiving both surface run-off and sewage.
(7) "EDU" means equivalent dwelling unit and shall be deemed to be 15,000 gallons.
(8) "Garbage" means solid waste from the domestic and commercial preparation, cooking and dispensing of food and from the handling, storage and sale of produce.
(9) "Industrial waste" means the liquid waste from industrial manufacturing processes, trades or businesses, as distinguished from sanitary sewage.
(10) "Natural outlet" means any outlet into a watercourse, pond, ditch, lake or other body of surface or ground water.
(11) "Person" means any individual, partnership, firm, company, association, society, corporation or group.
(12) "pH" means the logarithm of the reciprocal of the weight of hydrogen ions in grams per liter of solution.
(13) "Polluted waters" means any waters containing waste products, excrement or other discharge from the bodies of human beings or animals or any harmful, noxious or deleterious substances inimical to the public health, to animal or aquatic life or to the user of such waters for domestic water supply or for recreation.
(14) "Properly shredded garbage" means the waste from the preparation, cooking and dispensing of food that has been shredded to such a degree that all particles will be carried freely under the flow conditions normally prevailing in public sewers with no particles greater than one-half inch in any dimension.
(15) "Public sewer" means the sewer into which all owners of abutting properties have equal rights and which is controlled by the City or a designee of the City.
(16) "Public Works Department" means the Department of Public Works of the City.
(17) "Sanitary sewage" means normal human and domestic household wastes.
(18) "Sanitary sewer" means the sewer which carries sewage and to which storm, surface and ground waters are not intentionally admitted.
(19) "Sewage" means a combination of water carried wastes from residences, business buildings, institutions and industrial establishments, together with such ground, surface and storm waters as may be present.
(20) "Sewage treatment plant" means any arrangement of devices and structures for treating sewage.
(21) "Sewage works" means all facilities for collecting, pumping, treating and disposing of sewage.
(22) "Sewer" means a pipe or conduit for carrying sewage.
(23) "Slug" means any discharge of water, sewage or industrial wastes which, in connection with any given constituent or quantity of flow, exceeds, for any period of duration longer than fifteen minutes, more than five times the average twenty-four hour concentration of flow during normal operation.
(24) "Storm drain" means a sewer which carries storm and surface waters and drainage, but excludes sewage and industrial wastes other than unpolluted cooling wafers.
(25) "Suspended solids" means solids that either float on the surface of or are suspended in water, sewage or other liquids and which are removable by laboratory filtering.
(26) "Watercourse" means a channel in which the flow of water occurs either continuously or intermittently.
(27) "Extraordinary wastes" means all wastes which do not qualify as ordinary wastes.
(28) "Ordinary wastes" means wastes composed of less than 350 parts per million of suspended solids and/or 300 parts per million D«D.
(29) "Premises" means the property or area, including improvements thereon, to which sewage service is or will be furnished, and as used herein shall be taken to designate:
A. A building under one roof, owned or leased by one customer, and occupied as one residence or one place of business;
B. A building or a group or combination of buildings owned by one customer, in one common enclosure, occupied by one family, or by one organization, corporation or firm, as a residence or place of business, for manufacturing or industrial purposes or as a hospital, church or school;
C. The one side of a double house having a solid vertical partition wall;
D. Each side or each part of a house or building occupied by a family even though the closet and/or other fixtures are used in common;
E. Each apartment, office or suite of offices and/or place of business located in a building or a group of buildings even though such buildings in a group are interconnected by a tunnel or passageway, covered areaway, patio or similar means or structure;
F. A public building devoted entirely to public use, such as a town hall, school house or fire engine house;
G. A single lot, park or playground;
H. Each house in a row of houses;
I. Each dwelling unit in a house or row of houses. "Dwelling unit," as used in this paragraph, means a building or portion thereof with exclusive culinary and/or sanitary facilities designed for occupancy and use by one person or one family, including house trailers, mobile homes, apartments and hotel /motel rooms.
J. Each individual and separate place of business and/or occupancy located in one building or group of buildings commonly designated as shopping centers, supermarket areas and other such terms; or
K . Each dwelling unit in a public housing development owned and operated by the United States, by a municipal subdivision of the Commonwealth, by a philanthropic foundation or organization or by some such similar body or organization, or operated under private ownership.
(30) "Shall" is mandatory; "may" is permissive.
(31) "City sewerage system" means the public sewers, sewerage system and public sewage collection and treatment plant of the City as it presently exists and any extensions that may be hereafter made to the sewers or facilities either under the ownership of the City or through a mutual cooperation agreement with any other municipality.
(Ord. 20-86. Passed 12-29-86. )