(A)   No person shall erect, construct, enlarge, alter, repair, move, improve, remove, convert, or demolish any building or structure within the municipality or within the municipality’s two-mile zoning jurisdiction outside its corporate limits, or cause the same to be done, without first obtaining a separate building permit for each building or structure from the Building Inspector.
   (B)   Specifically excepted from this requirement is land zoned General Industrial District (GI) lying outside the municipality’s corporate limits, but within the two-mile zoning jurisdiction.
   (C)   To obtain a permit, the applicant shall first file an application therefor in writing on a form furnished for that purpose. Every application shall include:
      (1)   Name and address of the owner of the property;
      (2)   Name and address of the applicant, if different than the owner;
      (3)   Name of prime contractor for the project, if there is one;
      (4)   Description of the land upon which the proposed work is to be done. The description should be by legal description and street address, or if acceptable to the Building Inspector, by a similar description that will readily identify the location of the proposed building or work;
      (5)   Size, nature, and intended use of the proposed building or improvement. This should include the use or occupancy of all parts of the building or improvement;
      (6)   The approximate material costs of the improvement. Signature of the property owner, or his or her authorized agent. Any signature by an authorized agent may require evidence of the authority to sign; and
      (7)   Such other information as may reasonably be required by the Building Inspector.
   (D)   Each application for a permit shall be accompanied by one set of plans. The required set of plans shall be waived by the Building Inspector where a building or structure is located in AG Agricultural District and if the building or structure is being used primarily for agricultural purposes. On new buildings or structures, or the remodeling or repairing thereof, which provides for the employment, housing, or assembly of 20 or more persons or covers over 5,000 square feet of ground, and the construction cost thereof is $20,000 or more, the plans and specifications shall be designed and prepared by an engineer or architect licensed by the State of Nebraska to practice as such. Plans need not be submitted for minor work, when permitted by the Building Inspector.
   (E)   No building permit for new construction or major remodeling shall be issued until five days, excluding Saturdays, Sundays, and holidays, after the application in its completed form as required by this section has been on file in the office of the Municipal Clerk; provided, however, the Building Inspector may waive the waiting period in case of an emergency requiring immediate protection of the property.
   (F)   Except as otherwise stated herein, no building permit shall be required if the estimated costs of the improvement is $2,000 or less, unless structural alterations to an existing building is to be done. No building permit shall be required, regardless of the costs, for routine, periodic maintenance where no upgrade to the building or structure results. This would include, but not necessarily be limited to, painting; reroofing or reshingling where the same quality, or lesser quality, materials are used; or any other repair or maintenance where the quality of materials used are essentially the same as those being replaced.
   (G)   Application for building permit of a new residence within R-1, R-2 and R-3 zones within the city shall require public sidewalks in accordance with § 150.05(A), except as otherwise provided in subdivision agreements pursuant to specific approval of a subdivision by the governing body of the city.
(1972 Code, § 3-904) (Ord. 535, passed 2-3-1976; Ord. 566, passed 6-7-1977; Ord. 733, passed 1-3-1985; Ord. 810, passed 1-21-1992; Ord. 865, passed 5-7-1996; Ord. 929, passed 10-3-2000; Ord. 2005-12, passed 8-2-2005; Ord. 2012-07, passed 7-3-2012) Penalty, see § 150.99