Skip to code content (skip section selection)
A. Functional Types: For purposes of this chapter, signs shall be classified as follows according to function:
1. Advertising Sign: A sign, other than an off premises identification sign, that directs attention to or identifies a business, commodity, service or entertainment conducted, sold or offered at a location other than the premises on which the sign is located. This term shall include signs, other than customary identification lettering and advertising posters on buses and taxicabs, attached to parked or moving vehicles.
2. Attention Getting Device: A sign designed to attract attention by means of flashing or moving parts, bright color or light, or movement of any kind. Examples of such signs include pennants hung in series, whirligigs, spinners, streamers, flashing lights, searchlights and balloons.
3. Business Sign: A sign that directs attention to or identifies a business or profession conducted, or to a commodity or service sold, offered or manufactured, or to an entertainment offered on the premises where the sign is located.
4. Construction Sign: A temporary sign erected on premises on which construction is taking place indicating the project or future use, names of the architects, engineers, landscape architects, contractors, and similar artisans, and the owners, financial supporters, sponsors and similar persons or firms having a role or interest in the construction activity.
5. Drive-Through Sign: A sign that facilitates the operation of a drive-through facility by aiding with the pick up, drop off, ordering or service of such a facility. It includes, but is not limited to, such signs as changeable copy menu boards.
6. Governmental Signs: A sign erected and maintained pursuant to and in discharge of any governmental function or required by any law, ordinance or governmental regulation.
7. Holiday Decorations: Signs in the nature of decorations, clearly incidental to and customarily and commonly associated with any national, local or religious holiday.
8. Home Occupation Sign: A sign advertising or identifying a home occupation on the site of the home occupation.
9. Identification Sign: A sign giving only the name, trademark or other readily recognized symbol or address, or any combination thereof, of a building, business, development or establishment on the premises where it is located.
10. Institutional Bulletin Board Sign: A sign that identifies a religious organization, school, library, community center, or similar institutional or community service use on whose premises it is located and that contains only the name of the institution or organization, the name or names of persons connected with it, and greetings, announcements or events or activities occurring at the institution or similar message.
11. Joint Identification Sign: An identification sign limited in content to the identification of a planned development, office plaza, shopping center, industrial park or the like and not containing any reference to the individual uses sharing the development, plaza, center, park or the like.
12. Memorial Sign: A sign or tablet memorializing a person, place, event or structure.
13. Nameplate Sign: A sign limited in content to the name or address, or both, of the owner or occupant of a building or premises on which it is located. If any premises is occupied by more than one occupant, the nameplate sign may identify all such occupants, as well as the premises, and may include necessary directional information.
14. Off Premises Identification And/Or Advertising Sign: A sign giving only the name, trademark or other readily recognized symbol, address, or advertising, or any combination thereof, of a building, business, development or establishment, which sign is located off the lot on which such building, business, development or establishment is located.
15. Official Flag Or Emblem: A flag or emblem of a government or of a membership organization.
16. On Site Directory Sign: A sign, not readable from any public right of way, on which the names and locations of the occupants and/or uses of a building or group of buildings is given.
17. On Site Informational Sign: A sign commonly associated with, and limited to, information and directions necessary or convenient for persons coming on the property, including signs marking entrances and exits, parking areas, one-way drives, restrooms, pick up and delivery areas and the like.
18. Political Sign: A temporary sign announcing or supporting political candidates or issues in connection with any national, state or local election.
19. Private Sale Sign: A temporary sign advertising private sales of personal property at "house sales", "garage sales", "rummage sales" and the like.
20. Private Warning Sign: A sign limited in content to messages warning, caution or danger.
21. Public Service Signs: A sign displaying only the time, temperature, stock market quotations or civic messages.
22. Real Estate Sign: A sign pertaining to the sale or lease of the premises, or a portion of the premises, on which the sign is located.
B. Structural Types: For purposes of this chapter, signs shall be classified as follows according to structure:
1. Awning, Canopy Or Marquee Sign: A sign that is mounted or painted on or attached to an awning, canopy or marquee that is otherwise permitted by this chapter. No such sign shall project above, below, or beyond the physical dimensions of such awning, canopy or marquee.
2. Banner Sign: A sign made of fabric or other similar nonrigid material with no enclosing framework or electrical components that is supported or anchored on two or more edges or at all four corners.
3. Billboard Sign: A board, panel, or tablet used for the display of posters, printed or painted advertising matter, either illuminated or nonilluminated, that directs attention to goods, merchandise, entertainment, or services offered elsewhere than the premises where the sign is located.
4. Box Sign: A sign that is self-enclosed in a typically square or rectangular structure with or without internal lighting. A box sign can be single or double sided.
5. Freestanding Sign: A sign on a frame, pole or other support structure not attached to any building.
6. Gas Station Price Sign: A changeable copy sign advertising gasoline prices.
7. Monument Sign: A freestanding sign supported primarily by an internal structural framework or integrated into landscaping or other solid structural features other than support poles.
8. Moving Or Animated Sign: Any sign or part of a sign that changes physical position by any movement or rotation or that gives the visual impression of such movement or rotation.
9. Paint On Wall Sign: A sign painted on the wall of a building or structure with the exposed face of the sign in a place parallel to the face of the wall.
10. Portable Sign: A sign that is not permanently affixed to a building, a structure or the ground, but not including customary identification lettering on vehicles and advertising posters on buses and taxicabs.
11. Projecting Sign: A sign that is wholly or partially dependent upon a building for support and that projects more than twelve inches from such building.
12. Pylon Sign: A sign that is mounted on a freestanding pole or other supports.
13. Reader Board/Changeable Copy/Video Sign: (Does not apply to gas/service stations or to that portion of a sign dedicated to time and/or temperature.) A sign or portion thereof designed to accommodate frequent message changes composed of characters, or letters, or illustrations and that can be changed or rearranged, either manually or electronically, without altering the face or surface of such sign.
14. Roof Sign: A sign that is mounted or painted on the roof of a building, or that is wholly dependent upon a building for support and that projects above the highest point of a building with a flat roof, the eave line of a building with gambrel, gable or hip roof or the deck line of a building with a mansard roof.
15. Sandwich Board Sign: A movable sign not secured or attached to the ground or surface upon which it is located.
16. Temporary Sign: A sign or advertising display constructed of cloth, canvas, fabric, paper, plywood or other light material and intended to be displayed for a short period of time.
17. Vehicle/Trailer Sign: A sign that is attached to or painted on a vehicle that is parked on or adjacent to any property, the principal purpose of which is to attract attention to a product sold or business located on the property.
18. Wall Sign: A sign fastened to the wall of a building or structure in such a manner that the wall becomes the supporting structure for, or forms the background surface of, the sign and that does not project more than twelve inches from such building or structure.
19. Window Sign: A sign that is applied or attached to the exterior or interior of a window or located within the interior of a structure so that its message can be read from the exterior of the structure. (Ord. 3392, 9-12-2011; amd. Ord. 3781, 9-23-2019)