Skip to code content (skip section selection)
[Added 3-28-2005 by Ord. No. 13-2005]
A. Statement of policies. The Reading Fire Department Emergency Medical Services (RFDEMS) hereby determines to charge to delinquent account parties all costs of collection, including agency fees incurred in collection of unpaid fees, user charges and other items covered by the Act.
B. Schedule of fees.
(1) The RFDEMS hereby approves the following schedule of Agency fees for services in connection with the collection of accounts, which is hereby determined to be fair and reasonable compensation for the services of such an agency:
(a) For the collection of accounts under one year from date of service or last payment made by debtor: 25%.
(b) For the collection of accounts one year or over from date of service or last payment made by debtor: 25%.
(c) For the collection of accounts second placement: 25%
(2) The amount of fees determined as set forth above shall be added to the RFDEMS's claim in each account.
C. Collection procedures. The following collection procedures are hereby established to the policy of the RFDEMS. 3
(1) At least 30 days prior to assessing or imposing agency fees in connection with the collection of an account, the RFDEMS shall mail or cause to be mailed, by first class mail, postage prepaid, a notice of such intention to the rate payor or other entity liable for the account (the "account debtor").
(2) All notices required by this chapter shall be mailed to the account debtor's last known post office address as recorded in the records or other information of the RFDEMS, or such other address as it may be able to obtain from the County Office of Assessment and Revision of Taxes or elsewhere.
(3) Each notice ad described above shall include the following:
(a) The type of charge, the date it became due and the amount owed, including penalty and interest.
(b) A statement of the RFDEMS's intent to impose or assess agency fees within 30 days after the mailing of the notice.
(c) The manner in which the assessment of imposition of agency fees may be avoided by payment of the account.
(d) The place of payment for accounts and the name and telephone number of the RFDEMS official designated as responsible for collection matters.
D. Related action. The proper officials of the RFDEMS are hereby authorized and empowered to take such additional action as they may deem necessary or appropriate to implement this chapter.
3. Editor's Note: The Collection Services Agreement between ARB and RFDEMS is on file in the City offices.