Skip to code content (skip section selection)
AN ORDINANCE FOR THE CITY OF RAVENNA, NEBRASKA, CODIFYING THE GENERAL ORDINANCES OF THE CITY AND REPEALING PRIOR ORDINANCES IN CONFLICT HEREWITH.
BE IT ORDAINED BY THE MAYOR AND CITY COUNCIL OF THE CITY OF RAVENNA, NEBRASKA, AS FOLLOWS:
SECTION 1. CODIFICATION
The ordinances of the City of Ravenna, Nebraska, are hereby revised and classified into eight chapters and the subchapters and sections thereunder, which are adopted and declared to be the ordinances of this City.
SECTION 2. REPEAL PRIOR ORDINANCES IN CONFLICT
All ordinances and parts of ordinances of a general or permanent nature passed and approved prior to the passage and approval of this codification ordinance and in conflict with this ordinance are hereby repealed; provided, in construing the provisions of this ordinance, the following ordinances shall not be considered or held to be ordinances of a general or permanent nature, to-wit:
1. Vacating or setting the boundaries of streets, alleys, or other public places.
2. Annexing or detaching territory.
3. Granting or accepting easements, plats, or dedications of land to public use.
4. Providing for the acquisition or conveyance of real or personal property.
5. Authorizing or directing public improvements to be made.
6. Levying taxes or special assessments.
7. Appropriating money.
8. Granting franchise or special licenses.
9. Providing for the issuance of bonds or other instruments or indebtedness.
SECTION 3. EXCEPTIONS
The repeal of ordinances as provided in the preceding section hereof shall not affect any right acquired, fines, penalties, forfeitures, or liabilities incurred thereunder, or actions involving any of the provisions of such ordinances and parts thereof; said ordinances above repealed are hereby continued in force and effect after the passage, approval and publication hereof for the purpose of all such rights, fines, penalties, forfeitures, and liabilities and actions therefore.
SECTION 4. DEFINING CHAPTERS AND SECTIONS; ORDINANCE NUMBERING
The chapters and sections as set forth herein shall be and hereby are declared to be the chapters and sections to designate said provisions, and all ordinances hereafter passed shall numbered consecutively, beginning with number 2003-O-024.
SECTION 5. VALIDITY
Each chapter, section, and subdivision of a section of each ordinance is hereby declared to be independent of each other chapter, section, or subdivision of a section so far as inducement of the passage of this ordinance is concerned; and the invalidity of any chapter, section, or subdivision of a section of this ordinance shall not invalidate any other chapter, section, or subdivision of a section thereof.
SECTION 6. BLANKET PENALTY
Any person, firm, or corporation, their agents or servants, who shall violate any of the provisions of the within municipal code of ordinances, chapters, sections, or subdivisions of sections included herein, unless specifically otherwise provided herein, shall be deemed guilty of a misdemeanor, and, upon conviction thereof, shall be fined in a sum not to exceed $500.00.
SECTION 7. FINES, COSTS, COMMITMENTS
In any case where any person, including a partnership or corporation, shall have been found guilty of the violation of any ordinance of the City of Ravenna, such person shall pay the costs of prosecution and court costs and shall stand committed until the same shall have been paid in full.
SECTION 8. GENERAL DEFINITIONS
1. Person. Whenever used in the code, "person" shall include persons, artificial persons such as corporations, co-partnerships, associations, and all aggregate organizations of whether character.
2. Gender, number. All words used herein implying the masculine gender may apply to and include the feminine or neuter gender, and all words importing the plural may be applied to and mean a single person, firm or thing, or vice versa; and all words importing the singular number may be applied to and mean plural number.
3. Code, ordinance, chapter. "Municipal code" shall mean General Codification 2003-O-021. "Ordinance" and "chapter" are used synonymously, unless from the context the contrary clearly appears.
4. Municipal and Municipality. These terms, whenever used in this code refer to the City of Ravenna, Nebraska, a municipal corporation.
5. Governing Body. The words Governing Body, whenever they appear in this Code, mean the Mayor and City Council of the Municipality.
6. Mayor. The word Mayor means the Chief Administrative Official of the Municipality whenever it appears in this Code.
7. Municipal Police. Municipal Police shall mean any police officer of the Municipality whenever it appears in this Code.
SECTION 9. CONSTRUCITON OF CHAPTERS, ARTICLES, AND SECTIONS;
AMENDMENTS; ALTERATIONS, CODIFICATIONS; PROCEDURE
For purposes of construction, each chapter contained and arranged in this City code shall be considered as a separate and distinct ordinance grouped for convenience under General Codification 2003-O-021, and each section appearing in the several chapters of this code shall be considered a separate and distinct unit of legislation germane to the chapter of article under which it is considered.
SECTION 10. WHEN OPERATIVE
This ordinance shall be in full force and take effect from and after its passage, approval, and publication as required by law.
PASSED AND APPROVED THIS 8th DAY OF SEPTEMBER, 2003
Cindy Kesler /s/ Gerald R. Reimers /s/
Cindy Keslar, City Clerk Gerald R. Reimers, Mayor