Skip to code content (skip section selection)
A. Meanings And Intent: Words and terms expressly defined in this UDO including those defined in chapter 20 of this title have the specific meanings assigned unless the context indicates another meaning. Words that are not expressly defined in this UDO have their ordinary dictionary meaning.
B. Computation Of Time:
1. References to "days" are to calendar days unless otherwise expressly stated. References to "business days" are references to regular City government working days, excluding Saturdays, Sundays and holidays observed by City government.
2. The time in which an act is to be completed is computed by excluding the first day and including the last day. If the last day is a Saturday, Sunday or holiday observed by City government, that day is excluded.
3. A day concludes at the close of business and any materials received after that time will be considered to have been received the following day.
C. Tenses And Usage:
1. Words used in the singular include the plural. The reverse is also true.
2. Words used in the present tense include the future tense. The reverse is also true.
3. The words "must", "will", "shall" and "may not" are mandatory.
4. The word "may" is permissive, not mandatory or required.
5. When used with numbers, "up to x", "not more than x" and "a maximum of x" all include "x".
6. The word "person" includes a firm, association, organization, partnership, limited liability company, trust, or corporation, as well as an individual.
7. The words "used" and "occupied" include "intended, designed or arranged to be used or occupied".
D. Conjunctions: Unless the context otherwise expressly indicates, conjunctions have the following meanings:
1. "And" indicates that all connected items or provisions apply; and
2. "Or" indicates that the connected items or provisions may apply singularly or in combination.
E. Headings And Illustrations: Headings and illustrations are provided for convenience and reference only and do not define or limit the scope of any provision of this UDO. In case of any difference of meaning or implication between the text of this UDO and any heading, drawing, table, figure or illustration, the text governs.
F. Versions And Citations: All references in this UDO to other City, State or Federal regulations are to be construed as referring to the most up-to-date version and citation for those regulations, unless otherwise expressly indicated. When the referenced regulations have been repealed and not replaced by other regulations, UDO requirements for compliance are no longer in effect.
G. Lists And Examples: Unless otherwise expressly indicated, lists of items or examples that use "including", "such as", or similar terms are intended to provide examples only. They are not to be construed as exhaustive lists of all possibilities.
H. Delegation Of Authority: Whenever a provision appears requiring the head of a department or another officer or employee of the City to perform an act or duty, that provision will be construed as authorizing the department head or officer to delegate that responsibility to others over whom they have authority. Delegation of authority is not allowed when the provisions of this UDO expressly prohibit such delegation.
I. Public Officials And Agencies:
1. Unless otherwise expressly stated, all employees, public officials, bodies and agencies to which references are made are those of the City of Pryor Creek or individuals or agencies legally authorized to act on behalf of the City of Pryor Creek.
2. References in this UDO to the "City" are references to the City of Pryor Creek.
3. References in this UDO to the "City Council" are references to the Pryor Creek City Council.
4. References in this UDO to the "Planning Commission" are references to the Pryor Creek Planning Commission.
5. References in this UDO to the "Board of Adjustment" are references to the City of Pryor Creek Board of Adjustment.
6. References in this UDO to the "Community Development Director" are references to the Community Development Director of the City of Pryor Creek. (Ord. 2018-16, 12-4-2018)