Skip to code content (skip section selection)
A. Occupations Specified: A license fee is hereby levied on every person engaging in, exercising or pursuing any of the following for-profit businesses, professions, trades, occupations or privileges in this City, in the amount set by the City Council by motion or resolution on itinerant occupations, including the following:
1. Agents or solicitors selling insurance, or taking orders for insurance policies;
2. Agents or solicitors selling or taking orders for sale of books, magazines, periodicals or publications of any description;
3. Carnival, circus or menagerie where admission is charged;
4. Collection agents;
5. Concessions, games and amusements not a part of an organized carnival where a fee is charged;
6. Fortune tellers;
7. Palm readers;
8. Persons selling or undertaking to sell unsolicited services not specifically listed herein;
10. Real estate agents;
11. Shows, including tent shows, other than circuses and menageries, where admission is charged; or
12. Salesmen, solicitors, vendors or peddlers, selling or taking orders for sale of goods and merchandise at retail not heretofore listed.
B. State Permit Required: In order to receive a license under this Chapter, every person regulated pursuant to this Section is required to possess a valid and current State sales tax permit if such person is a vendor subject to collection of sales taxes under the Sales Tax Code of the City and State. A copy of this permit shall be provided by the applicant for a license to the City Clerk prior to issuance of the City license.
C. Term; Delinquency; Proration: All annual occupation taxes hereinbefore assessed each and every year shall become delinquent after May 1 unless another expiration is provided. License fees are prorated if purchased new (not renewal) after May 1 with a minimum fee of one dollar ($1.00). (Refer to Appendix A following this Code.) (1988 Code § 9-101)