Skip to code content (skip section selection)
(A) Approval by Director of Community Development. The Director of Community Development shall review and may approve certain special events; provided, they meet the following requirements:
(1) The event is requested by an existing licensed business within the city or by a non-profit organization with approval of an existing licensed business within the city and is located on its business property or is held on city property and does not require the closure of public streets;
(2) The duration of the event will not exceed three days;
(3) The event will not require the issuance of a liquor or firearms permit;
(4) A special event has not or will not be held more than four previous times during any calendar year at the same location;
(5) Event requires no more than an incidental amount of city services, as determined by the Director; and
(6) No off-premises signage or ribbons are requested, other than temporary non-commercial signs authorized without a permit under § 158.163.
(B) Approval by Director of Community Development for reoccurring special events. In addition to the requirements of division (A) of this section, the Director of Community Development shall review and may approve certain special events provided they meet the following requirements:
(1) The event has been requested and approved by the City Council for at least the two years immediately preceding the request;
(2) The request is substantially similar to the previously approved event;
(3) The event has not been objected to by any of the following: a department head, the City Administrator, the Mayor, or a positive vote of any committee; and
(4) If all of these conditions are not met, the special event permit request shall be submitted to the City Council for consideration.
(C) Approval by City Council. All other requests for special permits not approved by the Director of Community Development shall go before the City Council for approval.
(1999 Code, § 118.03) (Ord. 1818, passed 1-29-1996; Ord. 1917, passed 6-2-1997; Ord. 3663, passed 4-19-2010; Ord. 3807, passed 10-7- 2013; Ord. 3931, passed 5-2-2016)