Skip to code content (skip section selection)
(A) Except when necessary to avoid conflict with other traffic, or in compliance with law or the directions of a police officer, or an official traffic- control device, no person shall:
(1) Stop, stand or park a vehicle:
(a) On the roadway side of any vehicle stopped or parked at the edge or curb of a street;
(b) On a sidewalk;
(c) Within an intersection;
(d) On a crosswalk;
(e) Between a safety zone and the adjacent curb or within 30 feet of points on the curb immediately opposite the ends of a safety zone, unless a different length is indicated by signs or markings;
(f) Alongside or opposite any street excavation or obstruction when stopping, standing or parking would obstruct traffic;
(g) Upon any bridge or other elevated structure, upon a highway or within a highway tunnel;
(h) On any railroad tracks;
(i) At any place where official signs prohibit stopping;
(j) On any controlled-access highway;
(k) In the area between roadways of a divided highway, including crossovers; and
(l) In the Ferncliffe Court Stub (off of Shadow Ridge Crossing) except the occupants of 1110 and 1114 Shadow Ridge Crossing.
(2) Stand or park a vehicle, whether occupied or not, except momentarily to pick up or discharge passengers:
(a) In front of a public or private driveway;
(b) Within 15 feet of a fire hydrant;
(c) Within 20 feet of a crosswalk at an intersection;
(d) Within 30 feet of any intersection or as otherwise approved by the City Engineer;
(e) Within 20 feet of the driveway entrance to any fire station and on the side of a street opposite the entrance to any fire station within 75 feet of the entrance (when properly sign-posted); and
(f) At any place where official signs prohibit standing.
(3) Park a vehicle, whether occupied or not, except temporarily for the purpose of and while actually engaged in loading or unloading property or passengers:
(a) Within 50 feet of the nearest rail of a railroad crossing; and
(b) At any place where official signs prohibit parking.
(B) No person shall move a vehicle not lawfully under his or her control into any prohibited area or away from a curb a distance as is unlawful.
(C) It is unlawful for the driver of a vehicle to stand a passenger vehicle for a period of time longer than is necessary for the loading or unloading of passengers, in any place designated by the City Council as a loading zone and marked as such, or in any of the following designated places:
(1) At any place not to exceed 75 feet along the curb before the entrance to any hospital or hotel at the time;
(2) At any place not to exceed 75 feet along the curb line before the entrance to a public building between 8:00 a.m. and 6:00 p.m., except on Sunday; and
(3) Directly in front of the entrance to any theater at any time that the theater is open.
(1999 Code, § 72.10) (Ord. 3313, passed 1-18-2005; Ord. 3638, passed 9-21-2009) Penalty, see § 72.99
Related provisions, see ILCS Ch. 625, Act 5, § 11-1303