Skip to code content (skip section selection)
As used in this chapter, the following terms shall have these meanings:
(a) “Board” means the Fair Housing Board created by this chapter.
(b) “Discrimination”, “discriminating” or “discriminate” mean to render any different in treatment to any person in the sale, lease, rental or financing of a dwelling or housing unit because of a person's race, color, creed, sex, marital status, religious belief, national origin, age, handicap, disability or familial status.
(c) “Familial status” means one or more individuals (who have not attained the age of 18 years) being domiciled with:
(1) A parent or another person having legal custody of such an individual or individuals; or
(2) The designee of such parent or other persons having such custody, with the written permission of such parent or other person.
The protection afforded against discrimination on the basis of familial status shall apply to any person who is pregnant, or in the process of securing legal custody of any individual who has not attained the age of 18.
(d) “Handicap” means with respect to a person:
(1) A physical or mental impairment which substantially limits one or more of such person's major life activities;
(2) A record of having such an impairment; or
(3) Being regarded as having such an impairment, but such term does not include current, illegal use of or addition to a controlled substance (as defined in Section 102 of the Controlled Substance Act (21 U.S.C. 802)).
(e) “Housing” includes any building, facility or structure or portion thereof which is used or occupied or is intended, arranged or designed to be used or occupied as the home, residence or sleeping place of one or more persons, groups or families and any vacant land offered for sale or lease for the construction or location thereon of such building, facility or structure.
(f) “Lending institution” means any bank, insurance company, savings and loan association or any other person or organization regularly engaged in the business of lending money or guaranteeing loans.
(g) “Person” means one or more individuals, corporations, partnerships, association, labor organizations, legal representatives, mutual companies, joint stock companies, trusts and unincorporated organizations and trustees, trustees in bankruptcy, receivers and fiduciaries.
(h) “Real estate agent” includes any real estate broker, real estate salesman or an agent thereof, or any other person, partnership, association or corporation who for consideration sells, purchases, exchanges, rents, negotiates, offers, or attempts to negotiate the sale, purchase, exchange or rental of real property or holds himself out as engaged in the business of selling, purchasing, exchanging, renting or otherwise transferring any interest in real property.
(Ord. 2003-9. Passed 3-27-03.)