Skip to code content (skip section selection)
(a) Purpose and Objectives. The primary purposes and objectives of the Street Tree Commission shall include the following:
(1) The Commission, when requested by City Council, shall consider, investigate, make findings, report and recommend upon any special matter or question regarding the street or park trees;
(2) To hold regular and special meetings at which the subject of trees insofar as it relates to the Municipality may be discussed by the members of the Commission, officers, personnel and Council committees of the Municipality and all others interested in the tree program;
(3) To disseminate news and information regarding the selection planting and maintenance of trees within the corporate limits, whether the same be on private or public property;
(4) To establish the recommended species and varieties of trees to be planted in the boulevards;
(5) To implement an Arbor Day observance on an annual basis; and
(6) To establish and maintain, on an annual basis, an inventory of City street trees.
(b) Membership and Terms.
(1) The Commission shall consist of five members. Additionally, one member of Council and the City Administrator shall act as advisory members of the Commission.
(2) The Mayor, subject to the approval of the City Council, shall appoint all members of the Commission.
(3) The Chairperson of the Commission shall preside over all meetings of the Commission and act as parliamentarian. The Vice-Chairperson shall assume the duties of the Chairperson in his or her absence.
(4) Appointments to the Commission shall be for three year terms provided that the term for one of the members appointed to the first Commission shall be for one year and one of the members appointed to the first Commission shall be for two years.
(c) Adoption of Rules. The Tree Commission, with the approval of City Council, may adopt rules consistent with this chapter which shall provide detailed guidelines for the administration of this chapter.
(Ord. 2002-36. Passed 8-22-02.)