Skip to code content (skip section selection)
Printed herein is the Charter of the Town of Newport, Private Laws of 1927, Ch. 225, as it was adopted by the legislature and as amended. Style and capitalization have not been made uniform. Obviously misspelled words have been corrected without notation. Amendments have been included and are indicated by a history note immediately following the amended section.
In an ordinance passed November 5, 1996, in accordance with the provisions of G.S. §§ 160A-102 and 160A-101(9)(b), the Charter of the town was amended as follows. All references to “Board of Commissioners” and “Commissioners” were changed to “Council” and “Town Council”. All references to “Commissioner” and “Commissioners” were changed to “Council member” and “Council members”. New Sections 48, 49, 50 and 51 were added and the present Sections 48 and 49 were renumbered as Sections 52 and 53 respectively.