Skip to code content (skip section selection)
(A) Creation of fund. There is hereby created a municipal surtax fund, which shall be a non-reverting fund. Revenues received from the Department of Motor Vehicles from taxes imposed under this section shall be deposited into the fund.
(B) Tax rates. Effective August 1, 2020, and in accordance with I.C. 6-3.5-10-2(c), the surtax shall be imposed at the following rates:
(1) Passenger vehicles: $25 per year;
(2) Motorcycles: $25 per year;
(3) Trucks with a declared gross weight that does not exceed 11,000 pounds: $25 per year; and
(4) Motor driven cycles: $25 per year.
(C) Vehicle definitions. The definitions set forth in the Act shall apply to this section.
(D) Uses of fund. Funds in the municipal surtax fund may be used for one or more of the following purposes:
(1) To construct, reconstruct, repair, or maintain streets and roads under the city's jurisdiction; or
(2) For the city's contribution to obtain a grant from the local road and bridge matching grant fund pursuant to I.C. 8-23-30.
(E) Transportation asset management plan. The Mayor shall prepare a transportation asset management plan, approved by the Indiana Department of Transportation, as required by I.C. 6-3.5-10-2(e) and I.C. 6-3.5-11-2(c) and submit a copy of such plan to the Common Council on or before August 1 of each year.
(F) Accounting of fund. On or before August 1 of each year, the Clerk-Treasurer shall provide the Common Council an estimate of the surtax revenues to be received by the city under this section during the next calendar year. The city shall include the estimated surtax revenues in the city's budget estimate for the calendar year.
(Ord. G-20-10, passed 7-21-2020)