Skip to code content (skip section selection)
(A) The city's Traffic Commission is authorized:
(1) To designate and maintain by appropriate devices markings or lines upon the surface of the roadway, crosswalks at intersections where, in its opinion, there is particular danger to pedestrians crossing a roadway and at such other places as it may deem necessary;
(2) To establish safety zones of such kind and character and at such places as it may deem necessary, for the protection of pedestrians;
(3) To mark lines for traffic on street pavements at such places as it may deem advisable, consistent with the traffic ordinances of the city;
(4) To determine those intersections at which drivers of vehicles shall not make right, left or "U" turns and shall place proper signs at the intersections;
(5) To place markers, buttons or signs within or adjacent to intersections indicating the course to be traveled;
(6) To temporarily establish a zone of quiet upon any street where a person is seriously ill if requested to do so by a registered physician. The temporary zone of quiet shall embrace all territory within a radius of 200 feet of the building occupied by the person named in the request of the physician. The temporary zones of quiet and any other zones of quiet declared by any ordinance of the city shall be designated by placing at a conspicuous place in the street, a sign or marking bearing the words "quiet zone"; and
(7) To determine the location of passenger zones and freight loading zones, and shall place and maintain appropriate signs, markings or lines indicating the same and stating the hours during which, and the times when, the provisions of this chapter are applicable.
(B) The city's Traffic Commission is authorized and directed to establish bus stops, taxicab stands and stands for other passenger common carrier and motor vehicles on the public streets for the greatest benefit and convenience to the public, and every such bus stop, taxicab stand or other stand shall be designated by appropriate signs.
(C) The city's Traffic Commission is authorized to erect signs indicating no parking upon that side of the street adjacent to any school property when the parking would, in its opinion, interfere with traffic or create a hazardous situation.
(D) The city's Traffic Commission shall determine upon what streets angle parking shall be permitted and shall mark or designate any such streets.
(E) The city's Traffic Commission is hereby authorized to erect signs indicating no parking upon any street when the width of the roadway does not exceed 20 feet or upon one side of the street as indicated by the signs when the width of the roadway does not exceed 30 feet.
(F) The city's Traffic Commission is hereby authorized to determine and designate by proper signs, distances not exceeding 100 feet at places where the stopping or parking of any vehicle would create an especially hazardous condition or would cause unusual delay to traffic.
(Ord. 4139, passed 11-27-1939)