Skip to code content (skip section selection)
(A) For the purpose of providing uniformity of traffic control methods, procedures, and devices for the use in connection with street and highway construction and maintenance operations, the town hereby adopts the current edition and the latest revision of the Manual on Uniform Traffic Control Devices for Streets and Highways, as published by U.S. Department of Transportation Federal Highway Administration, as the governing criteria for the design, placement, and use of traffic control devices for street and highway construction and maintenance operations within the town.
(B) Every person, firm, or corporation making or causing to be made any construction ditch or any other excavation, road maintenance, utility maintenance, or utility construction in a street right-of-way or on any public property shall do so in careful, prudent, and professional manner so as to properly safeguard and protect the work site and to prevent injury to persons or property in at least the following manner.
(1) It is required that for every excavation made on public property, proper safeguards shall be provided against injury to the public, barricades shall be provided at five-foot distance, and such barricades shall completely encircle all open excavations or trenches. When approved, steel plates of sufficient strength may be used to cover excavation to prevent blocking of streets.
(2) By providing and maintaining adequate light to disclose to the public the existence of any construction in the street, whether night or day.
(3) By conforming to the barricade installations, traffic flow controls, and lighting as required the latest edition and revisions of the Manual on Uniform Traffic Control Devices for Streets and Highways, as published by U.S. Department of Transportation Federal Highway Administration.
(4) No work will be permitted within the street during peak traffic periods, 7:00 a.m. to 9:00 a.m. and 4:00 p.m. to 7:00 p.m., Monday through Friday, unless it is determined by the Director of Transportation that the work will not contribute to the disruption of traffic patterns or safety.
(5) An exception to division (B)(4) will be made for emergency work as defined in § 158.09 hereunder.
(Ord. 16049, passed 7-27-16)