Skip to code content (skip section selection)
(A) It shall be unlawful to construct, reconstruct, alter, change the use of, or occupy, any land, building, or other structure, without first obtaining the appropriate permit from the Zoning Administrator.
(1) Such Zoning Administrator, or his or her authorized designee, shall not issue any permit, unless there is compliance with the requirements of this chapter, and of any ordinance or resolution adopted pursuant to it.
(2) A violation of any ordinance or resolution, adopted pursuant to the provisions of this chapter, is declared to be a misdemeanor under the laws of the state.
(3) Upon conviction thereof, an offender shall be liable for a fine of not more than $500 or imprisonment for not more than 30 days, or both.
(4) However, no penalty shall exceed the penalty provided by state law for similar offenses.
(5) A separate offense shall be deemed committed on each day that a violation occurs or continues.
(B) (1) In case any building, structure, or land is or is proposed to be used in violation of this chapter, the Zoning Administrator, his or her authorized designee, or any adjacent or neighboring property owner who would be damaged by such violation, may, in addition to other remedies, institute injunction, mandamus, or other appropriate action or proceedings to prevent such unlawful erection, construction, reconstruction, alteration, conversion, maintenance, or use, or to correct or abate the violation, or to prevent the occupancy of the building, structure, or land.
(2) Each day such unlawful erection, construction, reconstruction, alteration, conversion, maintenance, or use continues shall be deemed a separate offense.
('81 Code, §§ 10.99, 155.142) (Ord. passed 8-13-79; Am. Ord. passed 6-9-92; Am. Ord. 02024, passed 6-11-02; Am. Ord. 14047, passed 8-12-14)