Skip to code content (skip section selection)
(A) No person shall stop, stand, or park a vehicle, except to avoid conflict with other traffic or in compliance with the directions of a police officer or traffic-control device, in any of the following places:
(1) On a sidewalk.
(2) In front of a public or private driveway or so near thereto as to interfere with the ingress or egress thereof.
(3) Within an intersection.
(4) Within 15 feet of a fire hydrant.
(5) On a crosswalk.
(6) Within 20 feet of a crosswalk at an intersection.
(7) Within 30 feet on the approach to any flashing beacon, stop sign, or traffic-control signal located at the side of a roadway.
(8) Between a safety zone and the adjacent curb or within 30 feet of points on a curb immediately opposite the ends of a safety zone, unless different length is indicated by signs or markings.
(9) Within 50 feet of the nearest rail of a railroad crossing.
(10) Within 20 feet of the driveway entrance to any fire station and on the side of a street opposite the entrance to any fire station within 75 feet of such entrance.
(11) Alongside or opposite any street excavation or obstruction when such stopping, standing, or parking would obstruct traffic.
(12) On the roadway side of any vehicle stopped or parked at the edge or curb of a street.
(13) On any bridge or other elevated structure on a street or within a street underpass.
(14) At any place where official signs prohibit stopping.
(B) No person shall move a vehicle not lawfully under his or her control into any such prohibited area or away from a curb such distance as is unlawful.
('81 Code, § 72.02) Penalty, see § 70.99
Stopping, standing, and parking prohibited in specified places; exceptions, see S.C. Code § 56-5-2530