Skip to code content (skip section selection)
The referendum shall not be applicable to:
1. Legislation appropriating money;
3. Legislation providing for improvements petitioned for by the owners of a majority of the foot frontage of the property benefitted and to be especially assessed therefor;
4. Legislation submitting any measure to a vote of the electors;
5. Legislation subsequent to the first legislative measure of a series of legislative steps required to be taken to accomplish a particular purpose or objective;
6. Emergency legislation passed in compliance with the provisions of this Charter;
7. Legislation accepting a contract; or
8. Any administrative action by Council.
The effective date of any legislation subject to referendum shall be postponed by the filing of a valid and sufficient referendum petition within thirty days after the passage thereof. Each referendum petition found to be valid and sufficient shall be referred to a committee of Council to hold a public hearing thereon and to report its recommendations to Council within thirty days after such matter has been referred to such committee. Council shall, not later than thirty days following the public hearing by the Committee, either repeal the legislation or take appropriate action to submit it to a vote of the electors at the next primary or general election to be held not less than seventy-five (75) days after the referral to the Board of Elections. A copy of the proposed legislation shall be available for review on the date of the election at all polling places within the City. If the legislation is approved by a majority of the electors voting thereon, the legislation shall take effect immediately upon official certification of the result of such election.