Skip to code content (skip section selection)
(a) Return Required.Each taxpayer, except as provided in this section, shall, whether or not a tax is due thereon, make and file a return on or before April 30 of every year. When the return is made for a fiscal year or other period different from the calendar year, the return shall be filed within four months from the end of such fiscal year or period. The Administrator is hereby authorized to provide by regulation that the return of an employer, showing the amount of tax deducted by such employer from the salary, wages, commissions or other compensation of an employee and paid by him to the Administrator, shall be accepted as the return required of any employee whose sole income, subject to tax levied in Section 890.03 , is such salary, wages, commissions or other compensation.
(b) Form and Content of Return. The return shall be filed with the Administrator on a form furnished by or obtainable upon request from such Administrator, setting forth:
(1) The aggregate amounts of salaries, wages, commissions, lottery winnings, other gambling winnings, and other compensation earned, and gross income, income from business, profession, other enterprise or activity, less allowable expenses incurred in the acquisition of such gross income earned during the preceding year and subject to such tax;
(2) The amount of the tax imposed by this chapter on such earnings and profits; and
(3) Such other pertinent statements, information returns or other information as the Administrator may require.
(c) Extension of Time for Filing Returns,. The Administrator may extend the time for filing the annual return upon the request of the taxpayer for a period of not to exceed six months, or one month beyond any extension requested of or granted by the Internal Revenue Service for the filing of the Federal Income Tax return. The Administrator may require a tentative return, accompanied by payment of the amount of tax shown to be due thereon by the date the return is normally due. No penalty or interest shall be assessed in those cases in which the return is filed and the final tax paid within the period as extended.
(d) Consolidated Return$.
(1) Filing of consolidated returns may be permitted or required in accordance with rules and regulations prescribed by the Administrator.
(2) In the case of a corporation that carried on transactions with its stockholders or with other corporations related by stock ownership, interlocking directorates or some other method, or in case any person operates a division, branch, factory, office, laboratory or activity within the City constituting a portion only of its total business, the Administrator shall require such additional information as he deems necessary to ascertain whether net profits are properly allocated to the City by reason of transactions with stockholders or with other corporations related by stock ownership, interlocking directorates or transactions with such division, branch, factory, office, laboratory or activity or by some other method, he shall make such allocation as he deems appropriate to produce a fair and proper allocation of net profits to the City.
(e) Amended Returns.
(1) Where necessary, an amended return shall be filed in order to report additional income and pay any additional tax due or claim a refund of tax overpaid, subject to the requirements, limitations, or both, contained in Sections 890.08 and 890.09. Such amended return shall be on a form obtainable on request from the Administrator. A taxpayer may not change the method of accounting or apportionment of net profits after the due date for filing the original return.
(2) Within three months from the final determination of any Federal tax liability affecting the taxpayer's City tax liability, such taxpayer shall make and file an amended City return showing income subject to the City tax based upon such final determination of Federal tax liability and pay any additional tax shown due thereon or make claim for refund of any overpayment.
(Ord.68-27. Passed 7-23-68; Ord.2004-0-01. Passed 1-27-04.)