Skip to code content (skip section selection)
(a) No person soliciting, selling or offering for sale, or traveling about the City soliciting the purchase of any goods, wares, merchandise or other articles of value, including food, candy confections, frozen desserts or beverages shall, when such activities are conducted from a vehicle, do any of the following:
(1) Operate a vehicle when under the age of 18 years;
(2) Operate a vehicle at a speed in excess of 15 miles per hour when cruising neighborhoods or attempting to make a sale;
(3) Make a "U" turn on any street;
(4) Operate the vehicle backwards in making or attempting to make a sale;
(5) Double park or park in any manner contrary to any law relating to parking when attempting to make or making a sale;
(6) Permit any person except an employee to hang on the vehicle or permit any person except an employee to ride in or on the vehicle;
(7) Refuse to move the vehicle from any street or public place in the City upon the request of a police officer when, in the opinion of the police officer, such vehicle is causing traffic congestion or is creating a nuisance;
(8) Make or attempt to make a sale within a public park, or within 500 feet of any school, school yard or school playground during the hours when such school is in regular or special session, or for a period of one-half hour after the closing of such school;
(9) Make or attempt to make a sale within 100 feet of an intersection;
(10) Make or attempt to make a sale to any person standing in a street of the City;
(11) Make or attempt to make a sale from a side of a vehicle not closest to the nearest curb or berm;
(12) Cry his wares in a loud voice or use any noise-producing device other than a soft chime, and the limit of audibility of his voice or chime shall not be more than 200 feet from the source of such sound, which sound shall be eliminated whenever the vehicle is stopped for the purpose of selling or offering to sell such items;
(13) Sell or offer for sale food, candy, confections, frozen desserts or beverages, unless the vehicle is equipped with two red lights on the rear of such vehicle, positioned not less than six feet above ground, and two yellow lights on the front of such vehicle, not less than four feet above ground, and two yellow lights on the top of such vehicle. Each of such lights shall be not less than seven inches in diameter and shall be connected so as to intermittently flash when such vehicle is stopped for the purpose of selling or offering to sell such items. It is hereby declared to be unlawful for such vehicles to stop unless each of such six lights is operating as required.
(14) Sell or offer for sale food, candy, confections, frozen desserts or beverages, unless the vehicle is equipped with a sign stating, "CAUTION - CHILDREN" on the front and back of such vehicle. Each sign shall be in letters at least four inches in height. In addition, each vehicle shall have two side view mirrors of such design that the driver will be able to see behind and alongside of the vehicle from his or her position in the driver's seat.
(15) Sell or offer for sale food, candy, confections, frozen desserts or beverages, unless the operator of the vehicle is at all times accompanied by a responsible adult, whose sole duty it shall be to keep a lookout for and protect the safety of children and other persons attracted to or proceeding to or from the location of the vehicle; or
(16) Sell or offer to sell goods, wares, merchandise or other articles of value, including food, candy, confections, frozen desserts or beverages, without first having in effect a general policy of liability insurance with limits of not less than fifty thousand dollars ($50,000) per person injured or property damage proximately by such sale or attempt to sell.
(b) Every person referred to division (a) of this section and licensed under this chapter shall have his photograph attached to his license in his immediate possession at all times when peddling or soliciting. He shall display the same upon demand of any police officer of the City or upon demand of any person to whom he is peddling or soliciting.
(c) There shall be no more than three licenses issued under this section each year and no more than one such license in any event to each business entity.
(Ord.2003-O-04. Passed 4-22-03.)