Skip to code content (skip section selection)
(a) As used in this chapter, unless the context clearly requires a different meaning:
(1) "Official" means an incumbent of an office or a person lawfully vested with an office established either by the Charter or by the Codified Ordinances of the City.
(2) "Employee" means any person working for the City for salary or wages, who is not an "official" as defined herein.
(3) "Salaried employee" and/or "salaried official" means an employee or official who is exempt from the payment of overtime wages in accordance with Federal or State laws.
(4) "Hourly employee" and/or "hourly official" means an employee or official who is not exempt from the payment of overtime wages in accordance with Federal or State laws.
(5) "Full month of service" means that an employee is on active pay status for all available workdays within that month.
(6) "Full-time official" and/or "full-time employee" means a person who is regularly scheduled and required to work forty hours or more per work week, except for full-time firefighters who are required to work fifty hours or more per work week.
(7) "Work week" means, for all hourly employees, except members of the Police and Fire Departments, the period of time commencing at 12:01 a.m. on Sunday and terminating at 12:00 midnight on Saturday of each week.
(8) "Work period" means, for members of the Police and Fire Departments, the period of time commencing at 12:01 a. m. on a certain Sunday and continuing for fourteen consecutive days ending at 12:00 midnight on the fourteenth day. Work periods shall continue thereafter in successive fourteen-day intervals .
(9) "Probationary employee" means any employee who has worked less than one year, including regularly scheduled days off or properly excused absences.
(10) "Seniority" means that period running from the date on which an employee or official first became a full-time employee or official.
(11) "Calendar month of service" means any calendar month in which not less than 160 hours have been worked.
(b) It is the intent of the City to comply with all Federal and State laws pertaining to nondiscrimination of any kind in employment.
(Ord.82-0-6. Passed 5-25-82; Ord.86-0-29. Passed 12-9-86; Ord.98-0-20. Passed 128-98; Ord.98-0-22. Passed 12-8-98.)