Skip to code content (skip section selection)
(A) Purpose: These standards:
1. Together with the garage standards, ensure that there is a physical and visual connection between the living area of the residence and the street.
2. Enhance public safety for residents and visitors and provide opportunities for community interaction.
3. Ensure that the pedestrian entrance is visible or clearly identifiable from the street by its orientation or articulation.
1. The standards of subsection (C) of this section apply to single-family and two-family dwellings, and townhouse units in the R4 through R16 zones.
2. Where a proposal is for an alteration or addition to existing development, the standards of this section apply only to the portion being altered or added.
3. On sites with more than one street frontage, the applicant may choose on which frontage to meet the standards.
4. Development on flag lots or on lots that slope up or down from the street with an average slope of twenty percent (20%) or more is exempt from these standards.
5. Main entrances for developments which have secured a building permit prior to March 16, 2006, are exempt from these provisions.
(C) Standards: At least one main entrance for each structure must:
1. Be within eight feet (8') of the longest street facing wall of the dwelling unit; and
2. One of the following:
(a) Face the street. See figure 3.8.19(A) of this section.
(b) Be at an angle of up to forty five degrees (45°) from the street.
(c) Open onto a porch. See figure 3.8.19(B) of this section. The porch must:
(1) Be at least twenty five (25) square feet in area.
(2) Have at least one entrance facing the street.
(3) Have a roof that is:
A. No more than twelve feet (12') above the floor of the porch.
B. At least thirty percent (30%) solid. This standard may be met by having thirty percent (30%) of the porch area covered with a solid roof, or by having the entire area covered with a trellis or other open material if no more than seventy percent (70%) of the area of the material is open.
(Ord. 821, 2-23-2006, eff. 3-16-2006)