Skip to code content (skip section selection)
(a) No person shall:
(1) Purposely and without authority from the owner, start the motor of any motor vehicle;
(2) Maliciously and purposely shift or change the starting device or gears of a standing motor vehicle to a position other than that in which they were left by the owner or driver of the motor vehicle;
(3) Purposely cut, mark, scratch or damage the chassis, running gear, body, sides, top, covering or upholstering of another person's motor vehicle;
(4) Purposely destroy any part of such vehicle with or by any liquid or other substance, or cut, mash, mark or in any other way destroy or damage the cylinder, radiator, steering gear, fire extinguisher, fan, belt, valve, pipe, wire, cap, lamp, gas or oil tank, cup, signal device, clock, chain, tool, coil, spring, speedometer, starter, battery, spark plug, brake, tool box, oiler, pump, switch, nut, casting, tire, rim, tube, box, basket, trunk or carrier, rod, bolt, shield, fender, bracket, gauge, glass, hood, lock, cap, screw, carburetor, magneto, license number, electric bulb, or any device, emblem, monogram or other attachment, fastening or other appurtenance of a motor vehicle, without the permission of the owner thereof;
(5) Purposely drain or start the drainage of any radiator or oil tank upon another person's motor vehicle;
(6) Purposely put any metallic or other substance or liquid in the radiator, carburetor, oil tank, grease cup, oilers, lamps or machinery of a motor vehicle, with the intent to injure or damage the same or impede the working of the machinery;
(7) Maliciously tighten or loosen any bracket, bolt, wire, screw or other fastening on a motor vehicle; or
(8) Purposely release the brake upon a standing motor vehicle, with the intent to injure such machine.
(b) Whoever violates this section is guilty of a misdemeanor of the first degree, and shall be subject to the penalty provided in Section 597.02.
(Ord. 1976-25. Passed 11-8-76.)