Skip to code content (skip section selection)
(A) Position established. There is hereby created the office of City Administrator pursuant to enabling statutory authority provided at ILCS Ch. 65, Act 3, § 3.1-30-5 and ILCS Ch. 65, Act 5, § 4-5-1 et seq.
(B) Appointment. The Mayor with the advice and consent of the City Council shall appoint the City Administrator. The person appointed by the Mayor to the position of City Administrator shall be nominated solely on the basis of his or her training, executive and administrative qualifications and experience in the administration of municipal government. His or her background and experience shall be consistent with a job description adopted by the City Council. The person selected to be appointed by the Mayor shall be appointed without regard to race, sex, national origin, religion or any other illegal discriminatory factor. The persons who have held the position of Mayor or have been a member of the City Council, within one year prior to the appointment of the City Administrator, are hereby deemed not qualified and shall not be appointed by the Mayor to the City Administrator position.
(C) Tenure of office. The term of the office of the City Administrator shall be coterminous with the term of the Mayor appointing the City Administrator. The City Council and the City Administrator may enter into an agreement with respect to other terms and provisions of employment and may provide for salary, salary adjustments, fringe benefits, severance provisions and payment, and other remuneration and benefits of office.
(D) Bond and oath. Before entering upon the duties of office, the City Administrator shall furnish a surety bond in the amount of $50,000 to be approved by the City Council. Said bond to be conditioned upon the faithful performance of his or her duties. The city shall pay the premium of the bond. Before entering upon the duties of office, the City Administrator shall take and subscribe to any oath prescribed by the statutes of the State of Illinois.
(E) Compensation. The City Administrator shall receive compensation in such amount and manner, as the Council shall affix from time to time by ordinance or resolution and by agreement.
(F) Powers and duties.
(1) The City Administrator shall be, pursuant to ILCS Ch. 65, Act 5, § 4-5-2, the Chief Administrative Officer of each the following Departments:
(a) Department of Public Affairs
(b) Department of Accounts and Finance
(c) Department of Public Health and Safety;
(d) Department of Streets and Public Improvements; and
(e) Department of Public Property
(2) The City Administrator shall perform administrative and executive functions with respect to the foregoing Departments with due regard to the powers and duties granted to the City Council pursuant to ILCS Ch. 65, Act 5, § 4-5-2.
(3) Except for the City Attorney, Treasurer and City Clerk, the City Administrator shall have the power to appoint and remove all city employees with the advice and consent of the City Council. All decisions to appoint and remove employees shall be consistent with the policies established by the City Council, applicable statutes of the State of Illinois and the United States of America, valid labor agreements, and consistent with the principles of good municipal administration and due process of law.
(4) The City Administrator shall attend all meetings of the City Council. The City Administrator shall act as a staff officer to the City Council and shall advise the City Council with respect to all matters of municipal administration.
(5) The City Administrator shall be responsible for directing the enforcement of all laws and ordinances of the city.
(6) The City Administrator shall serve as the Chief Financial Officer and Budget Officer of the city as provided in ILCS Ch. 65, Act 5, § 8-2-9.1 et seq. and shall propose an annual budget and capital expenditure program for consideration and adoption by the City Council.
(7) The City Administrator shall, not less frequent than on an annual basis, report to the City Council with respect to the financial and fiscal affairs of the city.
(8) The City Administrator shall make regular reports to the City Council with respect to the operation of city departments.
(9) The City Administrator shall be responsible for the procurement of all goods and services necessary for the operation of the city.
(10) The City Administrator shall be the person chiefly responsible for human resources of the city and shall be the primary contact person between the city and all representatives of bargaining units representing employees of the city. The City Administrator shall advise the City Council with respect to human relations, personnel matters and negotiations for collective bargaining agreements. The City Council may employ attorneys or other persons to conduct negotiations with bargaining units representing city employees.
(11) The City Administrator shall perform all other executive and administrative duties not specifically enumerated herein with due regard to the executive, administrative and legislative powers granted to the City Council pursuant to ILCS Ch. 65, Act 5, § 4-5-2.
(12) The City Administrator serve as Chair of the Economic Development Revolving Loan Fund Advisory Committee.
(G) Acting City Administrator. The City Administrator, with the approval of the Mayor and City Council, may appoint an Acting City Administrator to act during the absence or disability of the City Administrator to carry out the functions and duties of the City Administrator. The Acting City Administrator shall be selected from among the departmental directors or superintendents of the City, unless an Assistant City Administrator position has been approved and monies appropriated therefor.
(Ord. 2003-5157, passed 2-4-2003; Am. Ord. 2005-5202, passed 5-3-2005)