The following signs shall not be permitted, erected or maintained in any district:
(1) Any sign or structure which:
a. Is structurally unsafe;
b. Constitutes a hazard to safety or health by reason of inadequate maintenance, dilapidation or abandonment;
c. Is not kept in good repair; or
d. Is capable of causing electrical shocks to persons likely to come into contact with it.
(2) Any sign which, by reason of its size, location, content, coloring or manner of illumination, constitutes a traffic hazard or detriment to pedestrian or traffic safety by obstructing the vision of drivers, or by obstructing or detracting from the visibility of any traffic sign or control device on public streets and roadways.
(3) Any sign which obstructs free ingress to or egress from a door, window, fire escape or other required exit way.
(4) Signs which make use of words such as "Stop," "Look," "Danger" or other words, phrases, symbols or characters in such a manner as to interfere with, mislead or confuse traffic.
(5) Any sign unlawfully installed, erected or maintained.
(6) Any sign which no longer advertises a bona fide business conducted, service rendered, or a product sold.
(7) Any sign or structure encroaching on or projecting into or over a public right-of-way, street, alley, or sidewalk unless otherwise allowed in this chapter.
(8) Moving or animated signs or signs having flashing red, blue or high intensity strobe type lighting.
(9) Roof signs unless otherwise permitted in this chapter.
(10) The use of a motor vehicle, trailer, boat or other surface normally not a sign when parked and used as an additional advertising sign in circumvention of the requirements of this chapter.
(11) Signs emitting sounds.
(12) Off-premise signs, except as otherwise permitted in this chapter.
(13) Any sign or other advertising structure depicting or describing sexual intercourse, specified anatomical areas, or specified sexual activities as defined in sec. 94-173(h) of this code.
(14) Hand painted signs not of a commercial or a non-professional quality.
(15) Any sign not expressly permitted in this chapter.
(Ord. No. 101, § 15, 11-21-1977; Ord. No. 159, 9-17-2007)