Skip to code content (skip section selection)
(A) Except as otherwise provided in subsections (B) and (F) hereof, any violation of this chapter, including a person who smokes in an area where smoking is prohibited, shall be classified as a civil offense and shall be enforced through the Code Enforcement Board (“Board”) as provided in §§ 32.275 et seq., or as it may be amended. The civil penalties for violations of §§ 90.01 through 90.09 are as follows:
(1) A penalty of no less than $50 nor more than $100 for the first offense within a one-year period;
(2) A penalty of no less than $150 nor more than $250 for the second offense within a one-year period; and
(3) A penalty of no less than $350 nor more than $500 for the third and each subsequent offense within a one-year period.
(4) Any person cited for violation of this chapter as provided in subsection (A) hereof may pay the minimum civil penalty within seven days from the date of issuance or request a hearing regarding such penalty to the Board in accordance with §§ 32.275 et seq. If the person fails to respond to the citation within seven days as referenced above, the person shall be deemed to have waived the right to a hearing, and the determination that a violation was committed shall be considered final. In this event, the citation as issued shall be deemed a final order determining that the violation was committed and imposing the civil fine as set forth in the citation, and the person shall be deemed to have waived the right to appeal the final order to Jefferson District Court.
(B) Persons who smoke in an area where smoking is prohibited and who refuse to extinguish their smoking material when asked, may be required to leave the premises, and shall be subject to prosecution for criminal trespass if they do not leave when asked.
(C) All violations discovered upon a single inspection by the Louisville Metro Health Department or in the instant presence of a peace officer shall constitute a single offense for purposes of the issuance of a citation under this chapter to an owner, operator, or employee of a building or an establishment, or a smoker therein, as the case may be.
(D) The civil penalty for a violation of § 90.10(A) is as follows:
(1) A penalty of no less than $50 for the first offense within a one-year period;
(2) A penalty of no less than $100 for the second offense within a one-year period;
(3) A penalty of no less than $250 for the third and each subsequent offense within a one-year period.
(E) The civil penalty for a violation of § 90.10(B) is as follows:
(1) A penalty of no less than $500 for each offense.
(F) An appeal from a final order of a Code Enforcement Board or assigned hearing officer following a hearing conducted pursuant to § 32.284(E) may be made to the Jefferson District Court within 30 days of the date the order is issued. The appeal shall be initiated by the filing of a complaint and a copy of the final order in the same manner as any civil action under the Kentucky Rules of Civil Procedure. The Jefferson District Court shall review the final order de novo. If no appeal from a final order following a hearing is filed within the time period set in this section, the order shall be deemed final for all purposes.
(G) The civil penalty for a violation of § 90.11 is a penalty of no less than $100 and no more than $500 for each offense.
(Lou. Metro Ord. No. 123-2005, approved 8-17-2005, effective 11-15-2005; Lou. Metro Am. Ord. No. 189-2006, approved 10-17-2006, effective 7-1-2007; Lou. Metro Am. Ord. No. 1- 2008, approved 1-11-2008; Lou. Metro Am. Ord. No. 58-2014, approved 4-14-2014; Lou. Metro Am. Ord. No. 83-2017, approved 5-22-2017; Lou. Metro Am. Ord. 129-2020, approved 11-3-2020)