Skip to code content (skip section selection)
(A) Purpose: The purpose of this chapter is to establish policies and procedures for excavating, and for constructing facilities on rights-of-way within the Village's jurisdiction, which will provide public benefit consistent with the preservation of the integrity, safe usage, and visual qualities of the Village rights-of-way and the Village as a whole.
(B) Intent: In enacting this chapter, the Village intends to exercise its authority over the rights-of-way in the Village and, in particular, the use of the public ways and property by utilities and contractors, by establishing uniform standards to address issues presented by small wireless facilities and utility facilities, including, without limitation:
1. Prevent interference with the use of streets, sidewalks, alleys, parkways and other public ways and places;
2. Prevent the creation of visual and physical obstructions and other conditions that are hazardous to vehicular and pedestrian traffic;
3. Prevent interference with the facilities and operations of the Village's utilities and of other utilities lawfully located in rights-of-way or public property;
4. Protect against environmental damage, including damage to trees, from the installation of facilities;
5. Protect against increased stormwater runoff due to structures and materials that increase impermeable surfaces;
6. Preserve the character of the neighborhoods in which facilities are installed;
7. Preserve open space, particularly the tree lined parkways that characterize the Village's residential neighborhoods;
8. Prevent visual blight from the proliferation of facilities in the rights-of-way; and
9. Assure the continued safe use and enjoyment of private properties adjacent to facilities locations.
(C) Applicability Of This Chapter: This chapter applies to all facilities on, over, above, along, upon, under, across, or within the rights-of-way within the jurisdiction of the Village. A facility lawfully established prior to the effective date of this chapter may continue to be maintained, repaired and operated by the wireless provider or utility as presently constructed and located, except as may be otherwise provided in any applicable franchise, license or similar agreement. Further, the provisions of this chapter shall apply to excavation work under the direction of the Director of Public Works by Village employees or contractors performing work under contract with the Village, necessitating excavation in the Village rights-of-way or property.
(D) Franchises, Licenses, Or Similar Agreements: The Village, in its discretion and as limited by law, may require utilities to enter into a franchise, license or similar agreement for the privilege of locating their facilities on, over, above, along, upon, under, across, or within the Village rights-of-way. Utilities that are not required by law to enter into such an agreement may request that the Village enter into such an agreement. In such an agreement, the Village may provide for terms and conditions inconsistent with this chapter.
(E) Effect Of Franchises, Licenses, Or Similar Agreements:
1. Utilities Other Than Telecommunications Providers: In the event that a utility other than a telecommunications provider has a franchise, license or similar agreement with the Village, such franchise, license or similar agreement shall govern and control during the term of such agreement and any lawful renewal or extension thereof.
2. Telecommunications Providers: In the event of any conflict with, or inconsistency between, the provisions of this chapter and the provisions of any franchise, license or similar agreement between the Village and any telecommunications provider, the provisions of such franchise, license or similar agreement shall govern and control during the term of such agreement and any lawful renewal or extension thereof.
(F) Conflicts With Other Chapters: This chapter supersedes all chapters or parts of chapters adopted prior hereto that are in conflict herewith, to the extent of such conflict.
(G) Conflicts With State And Federal Laws: In the event that applicable Federal or State laws or regulations conflict with the requirements of this chapter, the utility shall comply with the requirements of this chapter to the maximum extent possible without violating Federal or State laws or regulations.
(H) Sound Engineering Judgment: The Village shall use sound engineering judgment when administering this chapter and may exercise the power described in section 7-1-23 of this chapter to vary the standards, conditions, and requirements expressed in this chapter when the Village so determines. Nothing herein shall be construed to limit the ability of the Village to regulate its rights-of-way for the protection of the public health, safety and welfare. (Ord. 2018-4776, 7-23-2018)