Skip to code content (skip section selection)
The following types of signs are exempted from permit requirements of § 153.165 of this chapter and may be placed in any zoning district. The signs shall be in conformance with any applicable requirements contained in this chapter. There shall be no limit to the number of signs on any lot, except as herein prescribed. All signs (except government signs) shall be located outside a road right-of-way.
(A) Government signs;
(B) Memorial signs, plaques or grave markers that are noncommercial in nature;
(C) Public interest signs;
(D) On-premises instructional signs not exceeding four square feet in area apiece;
(E) Identification signs not exceeding three square feet in area (one only per premises);
(F) Incidental signs;
(G) Campaign and election signs provided that:
(1) Each sign shall not exceed 32 square feet in area;
(2) All signs shall be removed within seven days after the election for which they were made; and
(3) Property owner shall be held responsible for violators.
(H) Temporary real estate signs advertising specific property for sale, lease, rent or development shall be located as follows:
(1) One sign advertising real estate “For Sale,” “For Rent,” “For Lease” or “For Development” not greater than ten square feet in area in all Residential (R) Districts and 64 square feet in area in nonresidential districts may be located on the property being advertised provided the sign is located behind the street right-of-way line. If the property so advertised lies on a corner lot, then a second sign may be permitted so long as the signs are at least 400 feet apart as measured by the shortest straight line;
(2) In addition to the on-site sign(s), a maximum of three directional signs, each not exceeding two square feet in area, shall be permitted to be located off the subject premises. The message of the signs shall be limited to the name of the property or development being advertised, a directional arrow, mileage to the subject property and the type of offering;
(3) All temporary signs shall be removed within seven days after the property has been sold, rented, leased and the like; and
(4) No more than three temporary directional signs advertising a specific shopping center, planned mixed-use development, subdivision and the like may also be permitted off-site. Each sign shall be no greater than three square feet in area.
(I) Permanent subdivision identification signs not exceeding 18 square feet;
(J) Construction signs provided that:
(1) Signs in conjunction with any single-family residential use or duplex shall not exceed ten square feet apiece;
(2) Signs in conjunction with all other uses shall have a maximum area of 50 square feet apiece;
(3) Only one sign per premises shall be erected;
(4) Signs shall not be illuminated;
(5) Signs shall only appear at the construction site; and
(6) Signs shall be removed within seven days after the completion of the project.
(K) Temporary farm products signs provided that:
(1) Only one sign per premises shall be erected;
(2) The signs shall be located on the premises where the products are sold;
(3) Signs shall not exceed 20 square feet in area; and
(4) Signs shall be removed within seven days of the termination of sale activities.
(L) Temporary special event signs or banners for religious, charitable, civic, fraternal or similar organizations provided that:
(1) Signs shall be erected no sooner than 30 days before and removed no later than five days after the event;
(2) All signs shall be located on private property except the signs may be located within a road right-of-way subject to City Council approval or on other public property subject to approval of the governing board of the public entity owning the property; and
(3) Portable signs for that use may be allowed.
(M) Temporary paper or cardboard signs attached to the inside of windows of occupied commercial uses provided the signs do not cover more than 70% of the window area of the side of the building on which the signs are attached;
(N) Other temporary banners in nonresidential districts, provided that:
(1) One banner per nonresidential use shall be allowed provided that each banner is located five feet from a street right-of-way and out of the sight triangle. Banners must not be larger than 24 square feet in size;
(2) The temporary banners are not permitted in the Central Business District. Banner regulations in the Central Business are addressed in § 153.170(C) of this chapter; and
(3) No banners shall extend above the second floor level of a building.
(O) One on-premises and three off-premises yard sale signs per yard sale. All signs shall be removed within 24 hours after the yard sale has been terminated. The maximum area of each sign shall be three square feet;
(P) Directional signs provided that:
(1) The signs may only be used in conjunction with a religious, charitable, civic, fraternal and similar organization or an industrial/office park, lodging facilities or similar activity;
(2) No more than three directional sign per principal use may be erected;
(3) All directional signs shall be located at least five feet from the edge of a road right-of-way;
(4) All directional signs greater than three feet in height as measured from the grade of the road upon which it fronts shall be located outside the required sight triangle as defined in § 153.031 of this chapter;
(5) All directional signs shall not be illuminated;
(6) All directional signs shall be freestanding signs. Portable signs shall be prohibited;
(7) There shall be no greater than four directional signs on separate supports at the intersection of any two roads;
(8) More than one sign may be placed on the same supports;
(9) No two directional signs hung from separate supports shall be located within five feet of each other; and
(10) The maximum area of any directional sign shall be six square feet.
(Q) Off-premises temporary special event signs provided that:
(1) No more than four temporary signs per event may be erected;
(2) All these signs shall be located at least five feet from the edge of a street right-of-way.
(3) Any sign greater than three feet in height as measured from the grade of the road upon which it fronts shall be located outside the required sight triangle as defined in § 153.031 of this chapter;
(4) All these signs shall not be illuminated;
(5) There shall be no greater than four signs on separate supports at the intersection of any two roads;
(6) The maximum area of any temporary special event sign shall be six square feet; and
(7) Signs shall be erected no sooner than 30 days before and removed no later than five days after the event.
(Prior UDO, § 9.7) Penalty, see § 153.999