Skip to code content (skip section selection)
A. Reduced Weight Limits Due To Certain Conditions: Whenever by reason of deterioration, rain, snow, or other climatic conditions wherein county highways may be damaged or destroyed due to the weight limits in section 6-3-2 of this title, the superintendent of highways may restrict the gross weight of vehicles operating on said highways to the following limitations: (1983 Code § 12-23)
1. Maximum Allowable Gross Weights:
2 axles with single rear tires
2 axles with dual rear tires
2 axle farm wagons or fertilizer wagons
3 or more axles, dual rear tires
2. Maximum Allowable Axle Weight For High Floatation Applicators:
Axle with 1 tire
Axle with 2 tires
Note: In no case shall the GVW exceed 33,000 pounds.
3. Special Weight Limits And Exceptions:
Garbage trucks: weight limits are in accordance with section 625 Illinois Compiled Statutes 5/15-111.
Heating fuel, propane, etc.: trucks are limited to 50 percent of maximum hauling capacity.
Concrete trucks: 3 axle, wide tires – GVW not to exceed 33,000 pounds or (3.0 cy).
Exceptions: Weight limits do no apply to school buses, emergency vehicles, snow removal/ice control vehicles, or utility vehicles providing emergency services. (Ord. 01-02-005, 1-15-2002)
The above restrictions of this subsection apply for a total of not to exceed ninety (90) days in any one calendar year. (1983 Code § 12-23)
B. Notice Of Limits Posted: The limitations established in this section and section 6-1-3 of this chapter shall be set forth on appropriate signs to be placed upon county highways by the superintendent of highways. (1983 Code § 12-24)
1. Penalty Pursuant To Statute; Limitation: Any person violating any provisions of this section and section 6-1-3 of this chapter shall be fined in accordance with the schedule set forth in 625 Illinois Compiled Statutes 5/15-113(a) as now in force and as may hereafter be amended, which is hereby adopted and incorporated into this section, except that no fine under this section shall exceed one thousand dollars ($1,000.00).
2. Disposition Of Fines: Fines collected under this section and section 6-1-3 of this chapter shall be remitted to the county treasurer to be placed into an appropriate fund at the discretion of the Lee County board. (1983 Code § 12-25)
D. User Fees:
1. There is hereby established user fees as depicted in the table below for the issuance of each permit to operate or move a vehicle over or across any highway on the Lee County Highway system of a weight of vehicle or load that exceeds maximum weight specified in section 15-111 of the Illinois Vehicle Code or the gross weight listed in the table below, which ever condition is more restrictive.
Number of Axles
Gross Weight in Pounds
2. There is hereby established a user fee of ten dollars ($10.00) for the issuance of a permit to operate or move a vehicle over or across any highway on the Lee County highway system with a total length over sixty-five (65) feet but less than one hundred (100) feet.
3. There is hereby established a user fee of two hundred fifty dollars ($250.00) for the issuance of each permit to operate or move each vehicle or load over or across any highway on the Lee County highway system with a total length that exceeds one hundred (100) feet.
4. There is hereby established a user fee of ten dollars ($10.00) for the issuance of each permit to operate or move each vehicle or load over or across any highway on the Lee County highway system with a width or height that exceeds the maximum specified height or width in the applicable section of the Illinois Vehicle Code. (Ord. 11-19-002, 11-19-2019)