Skip to code content (skip section selection)
(A) Except as provided in division (B) of this section, whoever violates §§ 152.051, 152.14(A) or 152.15, by failing to remit municipal income taxes deducted and withheld from an employee, shall be guilty of a misdemeanor of the first degree and shall be subject to a fine of not more than $1,000 or imprisonment for a term of up to six months, or both. In addition, the violation is punishable by dismissal from office or discharge from employment, or both.
(B) Any person who discloses information received from the Internal Revenue Service in violation of section 7213(a), 7213A, or 7431 of the Internal Revenue Code shall be guilty of a felony of the fifth degree and shall be subject to a fine of not more than $5,000 plus the costs of prosecution, or imprisonment for a term not exceeding five years, or both. In addition, the violation is punishable by dismissal from office or discharge from employment, or both.
(C) Each instance of access or disclosure in violation of § 152.14(A) constitutes a separate offense.
(D) By way of an illustrative enumeration, violations of this chapter shall include but not be limited to the following acts, conduct, and/or omissions:
(1) Fail, neglect or refuse to make any return or declaration required by this chapter;
(2) Knowingly make any incomplete return;
(3) Willfully fail, neglect, or refuse to pay the tax, penalties, and interest, or any combination thereof, imposed by this chapter;
(4) Cause to not be remitted the city income tax withheld from qualifying wages of employees to the municipality as required by § 152.051;
(5) Neglect or refuse to withhold or remit municipal income tax from employees;
(6) Refuse to permit the Tax Administrator or any duly authorized agent or employee to examine his or her books, records, papers, federal and state income tax returns, or any documentation relating to the income or net profits of a taxpayer;
(7) Fail to appear before the Tax Administrator and to produce his or her books, records, papers, federal and state income tax returns, or any documentation relating to the income or net profits of a taxpayer upon order or subpoena of the Tax Administrator;
(8) Refuse to disclose to the Tax Administrator any information with respect to such person's income or net profits, or in the case of a person responsible for maintaining information relating to his or her employers' income or net profits, such person's employer's income or net profits;
(9) Fail to comply with the provisions of this chapter or any order or subpoena of the Tax Administrator;
(10) To avoid imposition or collection of municipal income tax, willfully give to an employer or prospective employer false information as to his or her true name, correct Social Security number and residence address, or willfully fail to promptly notify an employer or a prospective employer of any change in residence address and date thereof;
(11) Fail, as an employer, agent of an employer, or other payer, to maintain proper records of employees residence addresses, total qualifying wages paid and municipal tax withheld, or to knowingly give the Tax Administrator false information;
(12) Willfully fail, neglect, or refuse to make any payment of estimated municipal income tax for any taxable year or any part of any taxable year in accordance with this chapter;
(13) Attempt to do anything whatsoever to avoid the payment of the whole or any part of the tax, penalties or interest imposed by this chapter;
(14) For purposes of this section, any violation that does not specify a culpable mental state or intent, shall be one of strict liability and no culpable mental state or intent shall be required for a person to be guilty of that violation;
(15) For purposes of this section, the term PERSON shall, in addition to the meaning prescribed in § 152.03, include in the case of a corporation, association, pass-through entity or unincorporated business entity not having any resident owner or officer within the city, any employee or agent of such corporation, association, pass-through entity or unincorporated business entity who has control or supervision over or is charged with the responsibility of filing the municipal income tax returns and making the payments of the municipal income tax as required by this chapter.
(Ord. 2015-112, passed 11-10-15)